Another question from the Manic Momma. :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Manicmomma

Another question from the Manic Momma. :)

#1 Post by Manicmomma »

My next question has to do with brackets. I've noticed in the pics I've seen here that a lot of you have ceramic brackets on the front 4-6 teeth on the top. I'm assuming this is for appearances sake. Do you guys find that it makes a big difference in how "metally" your teeth appear? If there is a difference, was it worth the extra (assuming there was an extra) $$ you paid for that verses all metal? And lastly, if there was a extra amount you had to pay to get those, how much was the difference?

As you can tell, I'm gathering this info because I'm considering doing this myself when I get my braces on the 31st.

Thanks in advance! 8)

MsViola

#2 Post by MsViola »

I am so sorry for so many repeat posts. My PC is going beserk!!
Last edited by MsViola on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsViola

#3 Post by MsViola »

:(
Last edited by MsViola on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsViola

#4 Post by MsViola »

Hi Manic,

I think the difference in price was about $250-400. I had 3 consults and the one I chose didn't specify the exact cost of 8 clear brackets. However, his price was in the same range as the others. I actually asked if I should get all metal since I had heard they work faster. Also when I smile you can see part of my bottom teeth which means you can see silver anyway. The Ortho the clear will work as fast as the silver and that he strongly recommended that I get clear on top. The tech also said the clear woud look good on my teeth because my teeth are fairly white and blend in well with the brackets.

I am now happy I took his advice. My clear brackets are smaller than my friend's ceramic brackets and seem a lot less bulkier. You can barely see them.

Also, as my teeth begin to move I am more aware of my overbite (probably because I am constantly looking at my teeth to see if there is movement) and I think I would be self conscious if i had metal brackets. They are also a good converstion piece since most people don't notice them at first.

Good luck on whatever kind you choose. Smile a lot and enjoy your "braclets"!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

MsViola

#5 Post by MsViola »

Last edited by MsViola on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MsViola

#6 Post by MsViola »

RightMyBite

#7 Post by RightMyBite »

I went for clear on the top, and I'm really glad I did! For me, ceramics vs metal is like a backpack vs a nice briefcase -- they both get the job done, but one is more "professional" looking than the other. I'm out in front of people a lot with my job, and I find the ceramic look a lot less jarring. It was around US$400 to put clear on top versus metal.

Also in my case, my lower lip covers the bottom braces most of the time, so the only thing that shows are the clear uppers. If my lowers were visible, all metal might be a better look.