NEW AND BRACED HELP!!!!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AMYGOLDER

NEW AND BRACED HELP!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by AMYGOLDER »

Here I am looking in the mirror since I got home and still can't believe what I am seeing.I would never have thought at 26 I would get braces.Hmmm,now why am I so depressed over some metal it's not just that.Sorry I am venting to everyone and you don't really know me,lol.Well last week I went skiing and fell bad,snap crackle and pop I break my ankle in 2 places! So here I am hobbling around on crutches and sporting an ugly pink cast that is sooooo uncomfortable for all of you that have had a cast and now braces,luckily I have 15 days till you know what otherwise I would be crying all day not just every half hour.Anyway I am popping 2 motrins as we speak and inserting more wax,MUAH.(thats about the only kissing I will be doing for a while)

gunter8888

#2 Post by gunter8888 »

Sounds very familiar, Amy. That first look at your new "bling" can be a real shocker. Throw in some discomfort and its more than enough to make most people have second thoughts.

Just know that in a few days the pain will subside and you will get used to seeing your new hardware. Then they will literally become a part of you and you'll hardly give them a thought.

Hang in there. Most of us have been right where you are and even more people have completed their braces adventures and are now enjoying amazing, healthy smiles. Before long, we'll be there too.

Best of luck and welcome to the club!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am sorry to hear that you had bad luck skiing. It is just bad timing with the braces too. :( You are right.....it is a really good thing that "Aunt Flo" won't show up for a while. You will definately be feeling better about everything by the time that comes around. :)

It does get better.....I have had my uppers since June of last year and my bottoms since November of last year. I hardly notice them anymore. The biggest change is right after an adjustment because of the wire changes and the change in pressure on my teeth.

Don't give up......take Kiwi's advice. It has helped the majority of us enormously! :wink:

skyclad

You can do it

#4 Post by skyclad »

I had a broken ankle, aunt flo, and surgery. Guess what...I did it so can you. Yeah I didn't have braces to add to that....You can do it....Girl Power!!!!!

osubeanbags

#5 Post by osubeanbags »

Wow, sorry to hear everything happened at once! I promise you it will get better, though! I got my braces in February ... the first couple days were bad, didn't eat anything except pudding. The next couple weeks were easier to eat, but I still felt weird about smiling and stuff. Now, I don't even care to show people. They'll look a lot better once they're off, so be happy that you're on your way! Trust me, it'll get better =)
GO BUCKS!

AMYGOLDER

MUCH THANKS

#6 Post by AMYGOLDER »

Hi everyone thanks so much for the support you gals have been great.Let me vent first,lol even before my morning cofee.Sleeping last night wasn't good,what sleep?Lets start with the foot,I have it propped up on 2 pillows to keep the swelling down so no tossing and turning and the braces weren't much help they feel tight but I assume that's normal.I haven't eaten much,my BF made me soup(out of a can)what a chef.I appreciate the responses and like you said the ugly cast and braces are temporary and don't want to know what my foot will like like after 6-8 weeks of not shaving but at least my teeth and smile will look great! :lol:

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

At least your attitude is a little better. :lol: Give it time and things will get better.

LadyTr0uble

#8 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Amy:
I am in your boat… 26, braced and in NY. So you've got company. Now that you have vented, you probably feel better. Hang on in there… it gets better. You've got the broken ankle and the braces going at the same time, and those are big changes by themselves. The worse is over. Good luck!

skyclad

foot and cast

#9 Post by skyclad »

Your leg will be nice and hairy and skinnier than the other. They will probably send you to therapy so you can walk normal. I did not go to therapy because I lost my job therefore my insurance so I did my own physical therapy. I got a job back and walked to and from bus stops.

Back on topic, your life will be better sooner than you know and Meryaten was right, milk it for all it's worth. It's fun.