Is it okay to have more than one adjustment in 6 weeks?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pcgal

Is it okay to have more than one adjustment in 6 weeks?

#1 Post by pcgal »

The last time I went in to get my clear elastics changed, my doctor came over and made another adjustment (added another wire instead of an elastic and sanded down some teeth)...and this was just 2 weeks after the previous adjustment. I almost said that I was only there to get my elastics replaced, but then I thought, "hey, quicker adjustments mean I get these things off faster!" Needless to say, its been a rough 3+ weeks with all the work that was done. I don't know if he thought I was there for an adjustment and didn't know I was there just to get bands...or if he meant to do it. I didn't ask....

Sooooo, other than the pain that seems to go on forever, is there any harm in getting more than one adjustment done in 6 weeks?

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I've gone in the past just to have ligs put back on where they've popped off, or to have a wire clipped, and ended up having much more than that done. Other times I've had adjustments scheduled at 2 or 3 week intervals because he needs to keep a closer eye on my progress (my treatment is pretty complex though)

I don't think there's necessarily any problem, as long as you can stand the added discomfort of having adjustments more closely spaced.

If in future you're just there for a lig change and your ortho comes at you with a new wire, best just say if you don't feel like you want it done that day. :wink:

pcgal

#3 Post by pcgal »

That's a relief! I had heard from a friend that when she had braces (a long time ago) it affected the roots and made them more shallow. I couldn't remember why but I thought she'd had a lot of movement in a short amount of time. I just got a little worried!