been braced!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spacersarentfun

been braced!!

#1 Post by spacersarentfun »

I have been fully braced. So far it feels really funky. I am not sure about this TPA device in the top of my mouth.... :lol: :lol:

chlorine23

#2 Post by chlorine23 »

What does TPA stand for anyway? That's what my ortho called the thing in my mouth.

spacersarentfun

#3 Post by spacersarentfun »

You know they told me but I forgot what it stands for. How do you eat?? I keep feeling like I am choking on the soft food!

fitchick

#4 Post by fitchick »

The TPA appliance is a Trans Palatal Arch. There is some info about it under the Popular Braces Topics on the Archwired Homepage. I have mine to maintain my arch width.

I know what you mean about almost choking, I've got some tomato skin and pasta wrapped round it before and thought I was going to choke. You will soon adjust and forget its even there. Honest!

Good Luck to all of you. :lol:
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chlorine23

#5 Post by chlorine23 »

Thanks for the info!

How do I eat? Carefully. Actually I'm to the point where I wonder what people think when I shake my head to one side trying to dislodge a piece of food from up there.

I almost choked on Ramen noodles my first night. I had a great plan since you really don't have to chew much when eating ramen. Well, when you swallow, your tongue automatically goes to the roof of your mouth. When I did that, it trapped the noodles between my tongue and appliance while the noodles hung down my throat. I really thought that was it. My life was going to be ended by ramen noodles.

I find myself fishing for lost food up there. I think the trick is to try to ignore it while you get a few bites in. That way you don't spend 5 minutes on one bite of food. You probably shouldn't try to suck food out of up there because when it comes free it can fly into your throat, and honestly choke you.

But I have to say, I've come a long way from the first day of eating with this thing, and I do ok. Like I said though, I'm still fishing for food up there and jerking my head to the side to try to "throw" the food off of it. Obviously I've still got some work to do. Just go slow for awhile. When in doubt, slow down, get some air, and try again.

I feel your pain! :D