Expander cleaning?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

awillis42606

Expander cleaning?

#1 Post by awillis42606 »

I had my expander "installed" yesterday... and all I can say is OUCH!! It doesn't hurt now... but it hurt like crazy when they were putting it in...

My question is... Is there any "around-the-house" product that I can use to clean my expander? Or do I need to buy a special "tool" to do this. I ate won ton soup for lunch today, and did very well eating it... but the chewed up wont tons kept getting stuck on top of my expander... I'm sure that I will get used to it, but it was very annoying. I ended up using my travel sprial brush to get all the food out of there...

I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do this...

Thanks!!!

Amanda!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

You might want to invest in a Waterpik. They are invaluable for cleaning gunk out from between brackets and under expanders. If you can't get one or don't want to, then something like a syringe is great for squirting water under the expander to dislodge bits of food.

I haven't got an expander but I've got a Nance/TPA and a lot of extra wires and springs, and it all attracts food like nobody's business. I find that having a glass of water with meals helps disperse some of that clogged up feeling. Straight after eating I head to the bathroom to swish and rinse with water.

hope the expander does its thing and you soon get used to it.
Lisa

danielle80

#3 Post by danielle80 »

Yes, a Water Pik would be a great investment!!! I have had my expander for almost 3 months, don't know how I would of cleaned it properly without one. And a side note... I have noticed once you start expanding the food doesn't get stuck up there as much and comes out easier because there is a bigger gap in the expander. haha :lol:

Upper Expander in for 5 months, 6 days. January 07- June 07

spaced*out

#4 Post by spaced*out »

I myself use a small orthodontic brush that looks like a little mascara brush and my ortho. has bragged about how clean it is kept , but do what you think is best. I have only had my expander for about 3 weeks.

samantha_lou

#5 Post by samantha_lou »

The waterpik is definitely the best investment that you could make, but within a couple of months, I was doing pretty well at learning to eat without getting too much all smushed up there - you eventually do adapt!

maia1orual

#6 Post by maia1orual »

hey, i agree about the little mascara brush thinger. . .i bought mine at wal-mart , it's a little container with about 200 for $3.00.

anyways, i love those things! good luck with your expander! =)

NishaGh1

#7 Post by NishaGh1 »

I got my expander on March 19th and i feel like the dang thing hasn't worked at all! One side feels like it is expanding more than the other in the back of my mouth, but, appearance-wise, I don't notice a difference at all!

NishaGh1

#8 Post by NishaGh1 »

I'm 19, about to be 20 in a month. I floss every night and brush twice a day and do a floride rinse every night. How do I know if my teeth are tipping and not expanding?