Spacers Tomorrow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

StarSmile

Spacers Tomorrow

#1 Post by StarSmile »

Im new to these forums and I plan on chronicaling my ortho journey here at archwired. Im going to have pictures taken of my mouth this evening before the spacers go in tomorrow. I went to an general dentist two months ago and had records and molds taken of my mouth. It took two months to get the molds back from wherever they had sent them to and I had to call them to find out if they had recieved them. The first dentist that I had a consult with didnt even talk to me about braces nor did I even see him. The assistant did the talking and the records etc. I finally realized that this office was not as serious as I am about getting treatment. (I was quoted 1700 down) I guess the dentist didnt want the money. I did a google search on orthodontist in area and began to call around. A couple of the ortho's didnt accept records from other offices and wanted to charge me again. I finally found an ortho that would accept my records and took my treatment as serious as I did. I expressed my want to get started immediatly and his office sqeezed my in for a consult a week later. I went in and took my records and they were pleased with everything with the exception of the pictures which his assistant retook for free (thankfully since Im footing the bill 100%). He is extreamly nice and whats even better is its only going to be 650 down. My treatment is going to be 12 months. It only took one consult and I am going to get my spacers tomorrow and ceramic uppers and metal bottoms on the 9th, I am extreamly excited. More to come!

StarSmile

Thanks

#2 Post by StarSmile »

Thanks Kiwi, I have read several of your post and I thank you for the advice. Im a little scared about the spacers, Ive read some people say the spacers are the worst part. I not would be so concerned if I didnt have to speak in a public setting for four hours two days after getting them placed in my mouth. The spacers will be in place for a total of 7 days. Is that normal? My botom teeth do not have any space for the spacers to go , so with that said Im sure its going to be painful. :shock:

chlorine23

#3 Post by chlorine23 »

Welcome StarSmile! I had spacers in for two weeks (the second week they had to stay in while the lab made my appliance). Some people only find them tender for a day or so. My teeth were pretty darn sensitive and incredibly painful to chew. But I didn't notice any change in speech at all. No one could tell I had anything in my mouth except me.

StarSmile

#4 Post by StarSmile »

Chlorine thats comforting!! :) I was getting anxious about it. I just cant wait to get started. I choose the name starsmile because thats what Im in pursuit of ( I guess as most in these forums are). A smile like a movie star. I will post pictures tomorrow of the before and the after spacers.

chicklets

#5 Post by chicklets »

Welcome Starsmile.

I've had my spacers (and brackets) for 6 days now, and they really have not been as bad as I expected at all. It was tender to chew for the first 2 days, but that's really it. I tried to stick with soft food or cut my food into teeny pieces.

So far, the worst part of the spacers was the actual placement of them. It was not bad on top since my palate has been expanded, but on the bottom my teeth are really crowded. It took some effort for them to go in. Once they were there, I felt like I had food in my teeth, but that subsided by the time I left the ortho's office.

The spacers did not affect my speech even with the brackets, but I had been struggling to speak properly for 6 months with a palate expander prior to this, so speaking now with brackets is a breeze by comparison.

One thing I'm really surprised about is that except for my closest friends who knew I was getting braced, not a single person has mentioned them. I really expected a few comments by now.
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007