Why did you choose the METHOD you chose ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oneal34

Why did you choose the METHOD you chose ?

#1 Post by oneal34 »

traditional vs invisalign ?

hmm

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Invisalign only works for certain cases. It wouldn't have worked for me.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I WANTED invisalign, but the ortho said I wouldn't be able to close my mouth when I was done since he couldn't reduce my overjet with it. He is a premiere provider for Invisalign, btw.

I went with Damon 3's with Opals on top/front because there were no colored ligs (more discrete in my opinion 8) ) and I loved the look and feel of the Opals over traditional brackets.

All said, I am happy with my choice. I was done in 21 months. My ortho said it would have been longer with a compromised outcome* with invisalign.

* due to my individual orthodontic problem. There are many who have good outcomes with Invisalign.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

becks

#4 Post by becks »

Not a candidate for Invisalign either...but I did ask!
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

WiredforSound

#5 Post by WiredforSound »

Like others, I wasn't given a choice due to my overbite. At first I was a little bummed about it, but now I am happy as the method chosen will fix my bite issues.
[/url]

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

I could have gotten my croding and deepbite fixed with invisalign (deepbite is difficult but doable). But overjet needs elastics and they do not attach to Invisaling. so traditiopals i took. My ortho said when putting my braces that it was good i chose traditional, because it would have been very difficult to fix my deepbite with t¨hem.

HOWEVER, I can swicth to Invisalign later in my treatment :). I think quite a few people could do this, if they just ask this possibility :)

Mommynbraces

#7 Post by Mommynbraces »

My orthodontist told me that I would not be a good canidate for Invisiline and almost half of the patients that do get invisaline end up getting metal braces to finish up their treatment. My overject coupled with a diastima made me Ms. Metal Mouth USA.

Spacers placed: March 13th 2007
Teeth Cleaned: March 20th 2007
Braced: April 3rd 2007

JadeBlue

#8 Post by JadeBlue »

Yeah, I can't wear Invisalign either. I'm not sure I'd want to because they seem often to take longer than the initial estimate and then traditional braces may still be needed for the final phase. My mom had Invisalign followed by ceramic brackets and far preferred the brackets, which were honestly barely noticeable. With Invisalign, you can't snack on anything or drink beverages without removing and cleaning and reinserting the braces. She said it was a pain in the patootie. On the upside, they ARE discreet, and for many people they seem to work very well. Good luck with your choice!
-Jade

alexa

#9 Post by alexa »

My problems were too severe for invisalign....besides, even if they hadn't been, I just don't have the kind of money to afford it. :?
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Ives

#10 Post by Ives »

The main reason was my ortho said no on invisalign. Also another reason for me was the fact that invisalign takes alot more discipline to wear. It's up to you the patient to wear them as much as possible. You take them out to eat and clean ( I think ). For me that could of been a problem. I like to snack alot and with traditional you eat all you want, you just have to clean more often. If I had to remove invisalign everytime I ate a piece of chocolate they would never be in my mouth. ( i'm eating robin eggs as I type this ) :wink:

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

bracesafter40

Re: Why did you choose the METHOD you chose ?

#11 Post by bracesafter40 »

oneal34 wrote:traditional vs invisalign ?

hmm
I did not have a choice; metal it was! No complaints here at all.
Although, my dentist who does invisalign wanted to do invisalign, but she stressed that I should go see an Ortho for another opinion. When I did, she said metal for 2.5 years; a done deal!
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

dawnm

#12 Post by dawnm »

ditto the other posts.

My ortho said that I was not a candidate for invisalign as I had "too much correction to be done"

Carolinahigh12

#13 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Some people that I have spoken with werent very happy with invisilgn and they ended up getting traditional braces.
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

bracesafter40

#14 Post by bracesafter40 »

Yes Meryaten, my dentist is quite cool; the cost difference is actually $800. She also knows that she is my dentist so I will always come to visit her anyways.

Well, I think she thought it could be, but in the end it could not. I am sure she would have seen that after doing more analysis.

Invisalign or ceramic were never entertained as options by my Ortho.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

fitchick

#15 Post by fitchick »

I wanted Invisalign to avoid people seeing me in the visible braces but I wasn't a candidate for them either. Now I have metal lowers and ceramic uppers and I get disappointed when no-one notices them!! I am more than happy with my ortho's recommendation.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!