molar bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mbarbi

molar bands

#1 Post by mbarbi »

hi...just have a question regarding molar bands...the ones i have are the metal rings...is it true that there are molar bands just like brackets that are just glued on the tooth??? and don't hurt at all?? thanks!

mbarbi

#2 Post by mbarbi »

i wish my ortho put those bonded bands on me instead of the metal molar bands because it hurt so much :?

mbarbi

#3 Post by mbarbi »

when putting in the molar bands...that hurt the most....maybe because my teeth are so close together...she left them for 2 days to allow my teeth to adjust before she finally put adhesive.

mbarbi

#4 Post by mbarbi »

yeah..good thing the bands are already in place...

thank you so much :)

jabberwocky

#5 Post by jabberwocky »

molar bands, ugh, yeah. I have eight of them :/
Getting them in did hurt a bit. They are the only part of my braces that are bothering me. The parts on the inside of them that are poking my tongue. eh. wax seems to fix that though.

Clairey Fairey

#6 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I've just had spacers and molar bands....

The only probs I had was the fact that the banded teeth to hurt to start with because of the spacers that I had before. The cleats were annoying aswell, they really dug in.

But....A week later, I can't tell they are there, I can chew with my molars again and the cleats no longer hurt.

My boyfriend has the other type, those bonded ones, but the gets the sharp wire poking the inside of his mouth all the time whereas at least with these big 'cleats', they kind of push your mouth out away from the wire coz they stick out more than the wire does, if you get what I'm on about....

Apparently you can't have them if you have an outside filling or a crown because they will stick to the filling more than the tooth!

becks

#7 Post by becks »

I think I'm confused. On my top molars, on both sides there is a banded tooth (molar) with this "thing" that sticks out on the outside of my tooth, on the side against my cheek. It looks almost like a little tube...is that the buccal tube?? What is it for?

Now, on the inside of those same two teeth (the side against the tongue) that sticks out a bit...is that the cleat? What is it for?? And how exactly is it removed?
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

bracesafter40

#8 Post by bracesafter40 »

My Ortho hates molar bands, so I did not get any. I have brackets on all teeth even my molars.
Pic is here - http://bp2.blogger.com/_iSOoKG3aTeM/RhZ ... 76_mod.JPG.
I do have one missing as it came loose last night; aargh.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

becks

#9 Post by becks »

Wow Meryaten! That helps alot, the pics and the diagrams. Thanks!
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

bracesafter40

#10 Post by bracesafter40 »

M,
"gnarly", I like that word :-). Yes it is quite annoying...I've finally been able to handle the waxing of it, but only after my gum has taken a toll. I've used a long piece of wax that stretches from the bracket for anchor and along the wire; it is difficult to get the wire to go through the wax, but I try to minimize my talking and kep my tongue from back there.

It is not only the end of the wire, but also the side that rubs against my gum that is an issue. I will see my Ortho on Monday first thing, but I will have to wait perhaps all morning, but it will be worth it. Looks like they did not use the correct amount of glue on that one as the others are fine and the top's been holding for five weeks now!

Thank you for the tips though; I did not think of those solutions.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

skyclad

Molar bands and cleats

#11 Post by skyclad »

M,
I did not know what those things on the lingual side of the bands were called so thanks for clearing that up.

Also I will be having those clipped so if you are a wuss I will be one right along with you. :D
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

skyclad

Wussy Dance

#12 Post by skyclad »

Can we be on dancing with the stars....can we can we can we pleeeeeaaase? j/k :banana: :banana: :banana: :-**
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

rogerwaterspt

#13 Post by rogerwaterspt »

Interesting...I thought everyone who uses dental braces had to use molar bands, but looks like I'm wrong.
I had to use spacers on my molars, and when I got my braces, there was enough space to put a molar band on each of my molars. And with molar bands, my dentist inputed some kind of paste that became solid after a few minutes. I still have that paste on, but I think she will remove it this friday and input a new one...who knows?

SDFD TSchott

#14 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I have molar bands and as much as I hate them I have adjusted to live with them. They will be out in no time :)

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Clairey Fairey

#15 Post by Clairey Fairey »

That diagram was great. I now realise its not the cleats that have been annoying me its that tube and hook on the outside that digs in to my cheek. I thought that was the 'cleat'!! (I still have no idea about all the official ortho words!)

Thanks for the diagram :D