Labial Frenectomy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jmpmntwnty3

Labial Frenectomy

#1 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Has anyone here ever had a labial frenectomy done? This is where they cut the little muscle between your two front teeth to allow that space to close up. I had this done Tuesday and I was just wondering how long it takes for the swelling in the upper-lip / gum area to go down. Thanks!
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

jmpmntwnty3

#2 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Oh thanks! That particular post really helped out. mtbrncofn's case sounds very similar to mine. I'm not so worried anymore, hehe ...
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.

jmpmntwnty3

#3 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

I certainly hope not. I haven't been able to put ice packs on my lips because of the pain. I couldn't even touch that area until yesterday. The doctor told me that he had to really numb that area in my mouth while clipping the muscle because the monitors were showing that I was in a lot of pain (oh yeah, I did have my 4 wisdom teeth cut out on the SAME day). The pain from the wisdom teeth are gone, and now I have to deal with the pain from the frenectomy .. whew hehe. But I've been putting ice on it since yesterday, and when I woke up this morning I did notice that the swelling had went down a bit, so there is hope I suppose...

jmpmntwnty3

#4 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Yeah, it is punishing! Haha, but I suppose it's better than doing it separately. At least I get to experience the pain all in one shot. Rather than the pain from either surgery going away, and having to experience the next pain later hehe.

Swelling has gone down today and I expect to be back to normal by Monday! Thanks to ice packs, plenty of rest, and warm salt-water rinses.

skyclad

all one pain

#5 Post by skyclad »

I agree on one pain vs. several. Did your nose hurt after that? I got a root canal on #9 and my nose hurt and bled for 2 days.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

jmpmntwnty3

#6 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Yeah, my nose did hurt a bit. It didn't bleed, but I felt like I had got hit in the nose, and the inside of my nostrils were VERY dry. I guess it was from the swelling in the gum/lip area. But all that is okay now. But that area in my mouth STILL feels tight. I go in for a post-op appointment today, so I'll see what my dentist has to say..

skyclad

nose

#7 Post by skyclad »

mine felt the same way and the dryness may have been what caused the bleeding.

ChooChooo

#8 Post by ChooChooo »

I am suppose to get a frenectomy too. :( I actually thought it would be easier than those posts I read. Now I am slightly worried.

skyclad

To clear things up a bit...

#9 Post by skyclad »

I did not have a labial frenectomy, i had a root canal on tooth #9 but had the bloody and sore nose for several days following.