Not much prep work, is it going too fast??!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tamiel34

Not much prep work, is it going too fast??!!

#1 Post by Tamiel34 »

Hi guy's:

Wonder if anyone has had an experience like this. I went for my inital ortho visit last Monday and he was ready to put my braces on immediately! I have a molar that has a large filling, but he wanted to wait to crown it till after my treatment. I also need some extractions, but he wanted to start treatment first because he was unsure about a couple teeth. I guess there is no reason not to get on with it! I'm 35 and have wanted this for so long, don't know why I want to put it off any longer! :D My 15 yr. old daughter is getting braced the same day as I am! Her experience was the same as mine. We've had our cleanings last month, no cavities, so I guess this is okay?!

joney

#2 Post by joney »

It does seem unusual that no x-rays or moulds were taken so that the ortho could prepare a treatment plan and discuss with you. Maybe your treatment is relatively straightforward in his opinion?

I would be worried about not having time to think the treatment plan over as it is a big committment.

However if the ortho has a good reputation and you feel happy to go ahead then good luck with things. A lot of people end up feeling fed up as they have to wait to get things going but in your case it may be too quick.

My 14 year old daughter and I are both in braces at the moment. She takes the whole thing much more in her stride than me. It is good to compare notes though.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

SnowSara

#3 Post by SnowSara »

I thought my initial steps went quickly too, I did have an initial appointment where x-rays, molds and photos were taken, though. Then I came back in 3 weeks to get my braces on. I didn't have to have spacers or any other prep work, it was right into braces. So, total time from me deciding to get braces and actually getting them on was exactly 1 month. It felt fast, but I was ready!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Tamiel34

#4 Post by Tamiel34 »

I did have x-rays and pics done at that visit, but he may or may not do impressions. His assistant said sometimes he does not need them for his adult patients.

Wyo_Stacy

#5 Post by Wyo_Stacy »

I had everything done on the same day. I went in at 0800 and started with paperwork. They did pictures, xrays, and molds. In the middle of all of this I met with the Dr. They asked if I needed to use the bathroom before they started. When I sat down they asked if I wanted gold or silver brackets.
It was kinda nice because I didn't have time to back out as I had been avoiding for a long time.

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

I did pictures, x-rays and spacers the same day. If they had put it off, I'd backed out.

Glad I didn't.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

lz

#7 Post by lz »

I'm like SnowSara. I went in for my records the pics, xrays, and molds. Then after that was done they scheduled me for 3 weeks later to get my braces (which is Thursday SOOO EXCITED!!!) I do have to get a filling on Wednesday though but I knew about it before even considering braces.
I have thought about should I really do this but I am gonna go through with it :)

skibunnie29

#8 Post by skibunnie29 »

I've known I needed braces for a few years now. I am finally doing it this month on the 26th. Three years ago I was sitting at the orthodontist on brace day, there were a few teenagers there sitting giggling. I had a panic attack and ran out never to return. I made sure I was the very first patient in the office because I'm really anxious about doing this. My guess is you being an adult he may have had them bolt. :) I did once. My current ortho knows this and makes sure I'm first in first out.

Side note, I'm a huge chicken with Dentists. I'm one of those need to be sedated before any poking around the mouth can happen.

skibunnie29

#9 Post by skibunnie29 »

Thanks Mery! I am really glad I found this site. I'm glad I'm finally doing it. I'm nervous but made the committment to fix my bite, I even paid in full to ensure I don't do a run away ortho patient again.

I truly was horrified the first time I found out I needed braces. My boyfriend is being really supportive and is going with me brace day incase I try to run again. LOL I'm not kidding!! He said he will hold me down if he has too. Anyway I got a prescription for 2 xanax for the big day and my sweetie holding my hand through it.

becks

#10 Post by becks »

With regard to the crown, I've often seen it said that if you already have crowns there's a good chance they'll need to be replaced after orthodontic treatment, so I'd imagine your ortho is trying to save you from having to pay twice.
I hope that is not true in my case. I initially had RTC and a crown put on a top molar about 10 years ago. It had to be replaced and cleaned out about one month before I got braced. I will not be happy if I have to turn around and get a new one right after debracing :cry:
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

skyclad

braces and crowns and impressions...oh my

#11 Post by skyclad »

First of all, 2 out of 3 orthos took pix, all 3 took panoramic xrays, the third ortho mentioned impressions but none were taken.

As far as the root canal and crown and braces...I just had rct, and need a crown but they dont want to put it on until im done with the braces because as i was told that the cement would not stick to the crown.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

becks

#12 Post by becks »

i was told that the cement would not stick to the crown.
Skyclad, I have a crown that is banded and cemented just fine. Though yes it is true that crowns and teeth with outer fillings are more resistant to having things cemented on. It isn't an impossibility.
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

skyclad

Becks

#13 Post by skyclad »

I suppose nothing is impossible. I am just going on what I am told.

skyclad

root canals, crowns and braces

#14 Post by skyclad »

Meryaten,
I really hope that the ortho decides not to band tooth #9. that would suck. The dentist is willing to wait until after treatment to put on the crown so there should be no need to band that tooth but instead put a bracket on it like all the others next to it. (this is of course my humble non-ortho educated opinion... :D )

SnowSara

#15 Post by SnowSara »

Re: committing!
I did the same thing with my flex spending, only I put off signing up all through Nov & Dec, then human resources gave us one more chance to sign up at the 1st of January. I hurriedly called up the ortho my dentist had recommended, got an estimate and turned in my paperwork in a matter of a couple days! I was tired of just thinking about getting braces and made myself do it! I'm super glad HR sent out that "last chance" email, or I wouldn't have braces right now. No regrets!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.