Teeth turning brown

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mary88

Teeth turning brown

#1 Post by mary88 »

I've noticed in the last couple weeks (only been braced about 6) that my bottom front teeth seem to be turning dark almost like those unfortunate people who had their teeth permanently turn brown after taking tetracycline. Has anyone else had an experience like this? These teeth are also very tender even though there doesn't seem to be any movement going on there(these teeth were already straight with no gaps or crowding) I would appreciate any input. Thanks Mary88

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

a picture might help with this one.

Sometimes it's the ligs that make your teeth appear discolored....when they're really just fine.

tender is normal, color change is not.

Make sure you're brushing well and it's not just trapped debres that your toothbrush is missing.

Let us know!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

skibunnie29

#3 Post by skibunnie29 »

Please let us know how you make out. I'm getting braces pretty soon. I'm trying to get all the info I can. :shock:

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

There are not a lot of conditions that cause the color of teeth to shift in anyone over the age of 18. The most likely culprit is stain which can be removed by your friendly Dentist or Hygenist. Tetracycline stain is layered and not the entire tooth, are you seeing similar stain? Or is it diffuse over the entire tooth?

Good Luck,
Rory

skyclad

Jennielee

#5 Post by skyclad »

Jennielee said it best, that in different lighting teeth look different. I had a root canal done on my front left tooth (#9) and in some light it looks great almost the same as the one next to it, and in other light it looks worse than before.

My boyfriend said it had a blue tint to it. At work in that bathroom, it looks worse or at least no better. At home it almost matches #8 and #10.
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

ladylee

#6 Post by ladylee »

Do you drink alot of cola or coffee? Maybe this is staining them? I am a heavy coffee drinker and my bottem teeth tend to get stained. Kind of strange because my top teeth don't.

mary88

#7 Post by mary88 »

Lady, I drink 1 cup of coffee per day, actually not even every day. I haven't had cola since being braced. I do smoke but I also did before being braced and now I am much more diligent with oral hygiene. I brush at least 3x daily also use the waterpik multiple times a day and also floss.[/b]

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

Are you using a toothpaste or mouthwash containing Chlorhexidine? that can stain teeth.