General Dentist vs. Orthodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oneal34

General Dentist vs. Orthodontist

#1 Post by oneal34 »

ive been to an ortho and GD and both told me the same thing

12 months and would require elastics with invisalign

both of these were 'premier provider' and the GD offered carecredit so thats why im leaning towards him

any advice ?

oneal34

#2 Post by oneal34 »

the ortho did offer a payment plan but it was still too much for me, plus he wanted a $1500 down payment which i definitely cant afford

the GD said he's done 180 invisalign cases but i didnt ask about the extrusion aspect of it

i noticed the link you posted was a little outdated by a few years, maybe the predictibility of this type of movement has changed over those few years ?

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

A good GP can handle simple to moderately difficult ortho cases without a hitch. There are plenty of good resources in training a GP from more advanced folks (Study clubs run by Ortho's, reps from Invisalign, etc). They key is to have somebody that knows what they can handle and what they should refer out. Like anything, you need to trust yourself and figure who you want to treat your condition. There is more to life than the bottom line dollar cost. Who will you feel most comfortable with and who do you feel will take the best care of you? That is who you should decide on IMHO.

Best,
Rory

knownothing

#4 Post by knownothing »

I would not go to a general dentist for any ortho stuff. (learned the hard way) Just go to the orthodontist, these guys go through at least 2 more years of school after dental school. What happens if the invisalign doesn't go the way the general dentist planned out? THEN you will get referred to an orthodontist, who probably is not going to be really looking forward to getting involved.... If I were getting knee surgery I would want to go to someone with the most education... for me teeth are just as important.... Don't learn the lesson the hard way....

oneal34

#5 Post by oneal34 »

knownothing wrote:I would not go to a general dentist for any ortho stuff. (learned the hard way) Just go to the orthodontist, these guys go through at least 2 more years of school after dental school. What happens if the invisalign doesn't go the way the general dentist planned out? THEN you will get referred to an orthodontist, who probably is not going to be really looking forward to getting involved.... If I were getting knee surgery I would want to go to someone with the most education... for me teeth are just as important.... Don't learn the lesson the hard way....
why would they be a premier provider if they werent good with invisalign ?

he doesnt do metal braces yet he specialized in invisalign

i have another consultation from an 'elite provider' (only in the area) on monday so we'll see how that goes

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

In your messages, you talk about "premier providers" and "elite providers". I wasn't sure what these meant and how an ortho would get that designation. That might be part of the confusion. Do they have to pass a test, or have a certain number of patients, or ... ?

Betty Bat

#7 Post by Betty Bat »

Thanks, Meryaten.

I parsed it wrong. I didn't realize that it was "Invisalign Premier Provider". I thought it was "Premier Provider" who used Invisalign.