3rd appointment today. What do 'rope ties' do???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

looloog

3rd appointment today. What do 'rope ties' do???

#1 Post by looloog »

Went to the 3rd adjustment a week and and half early because i had a loose bracket. It turned into my scheduled adjustment. I now have 'rope ties', and I got a very breif explination of them when I asked. Can anyone tell me what this is doing exactly?
Thanks!

looloog

#2 Post by looloog »

Yes, they go from one bracket to the next, and they are twisted in betweer each bracket along the lenght of the archwire.
My orhto called it 'rope ties'.
Does it go by another name maybe?

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Do you have gaps?

It is logical to think they are serving a similar purpose to power chains since they run along the same path.

HOWEVER, I don't know about this with any authority.....

Sounds very...uh...exciting! Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

looloog

#4 Post by looloog »

Thanks for that link Meryaten. I believe my rope ties are the same as laceback ties.
I am not gapy really, in fact after I read the posts on that link i think mine is to make sure the spaces that closed (i had some teeth shaved to make room for movement) stay closed. As for applying torque, its possible they do that too since they are twisted across the brackets.
time will tell!

thanks for your posts and help!

vivi21

#5 Post by vivi21 »

hello looloog
:-1 i think i have the same thing is like two thin metal wires that are twisted and go on every bracket they look really similar to the powerchains the reason i know i had powerchains first and on my 4th adjustment the ortho said she didn't like the way the powerchains were working on me so she decided to put this rope ties to keep closing my gaps, by the way i really don't like this rope ties :-(* because i don't know if this happens to you but every time i run my toung over my teeth my toung gets pinch :-+ and it hurts :cry:
Got my Braces on 08-04-06
Now on Hawley