Why did you choose metals over ceramics or vice versa?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dimples

Why did you choose metals over ceramics or vice versa?

#1 Post by Dimples »

Me personally, I will be getting upper ceramics and lower metals(or gold if the difference isn't to much) I chose upper ceramics for cosmetic reasons.

chillin-in-grilz

#2 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Simple, metals are cheaper. Plus Im 18 in high school, every person I see has braces. So I fit right in :)
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

jumbie

#3 Post by jumbie »

I am supposed to get the same as you. I got the ceramic uppers yesterday. I am really glad I did. They look great and it made the whole shock of having braces that much easier (for me) to handle. I am still getting use dto it and not completely comfortable with the new look but so far most people I have spoken to have hardly noticed. That makes me feel a lot better about it.One person asked me why I had a grey line on my teeth lol. They say the wire and could not see the braces. :-*
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

neelie

#4 Post by neelie »

I have ceramics on top because I wanted them to be invisable!!!! Into my sixth month and because the wires are getting heavier they have to use the metal colored wires. At least this is what the ortho assistant told me. Something to keep in mind when deciding between all metal and ceramics.

Anticipator

#5 Post by Anticipator »

Because I didn't want to worry about staining clear ligs and IMO colored ligs on ceramic brackets defeats the purpose and is probably the subject of a different discussion, as I assume most people select ceramics for their visibility factor, not for how they look with colors.

If I'm going to have to deal with all the other inconveniences of orthodontics, I'd just assume have one less conern about what I can eat and what the result will be on my appearance.

I've seen ceramic brackets with clear ligs look great and I've seen them look yellowed and unattractive. I chose to go with the guaranteed "clean" but visible choice of metal.

Not trying to stir up any old arguments, just offering my perspective and why I made my choice, which I've been nothing but happy with.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

markuhde

#6 Post by markuhde »

"How you fit in, should be more about attitude than what you have on your teeth ... well I hope so, as my ortho puts ceramics on the uppers on all his 18 year old patients (no extra cost), coz he considers them adults!"

1 - why NOT for kids?

2 - what if as an adult you don't WANT the ceramic (I'm starting to be really glad I'm gonna have the metal even though I'd considered ceramic - looking at photos on the Internet I don't like the ceramic - it just looks like you're trying to hide things and they're still visible... it draws attention from what I see)?

markuhde

#7 Post by markuhde »

"He does, but he charges a minimal fee for it. His reasoning is that kids are usually happy with metal and adults deserve to be treated as adults and get what he calls 'the professional' look for no extra fee."

My issue with that is either they cost more or they don't. Either:

1. He's ripping off any kids (and their parents) who want them

or two

2. His adult fee is enough higher to cover it, but then he's making you buy (or at least pay for if he'll let you have metal anyways) something you may or may not want.

Neither one is in the best interest of his patients from what I can tell in that picture...

markuhde

#8 Post by markuhde »

My ortho does charge a little more for me as an adult I think, though how much more I don't know. I just know the quote he gave me says adult on the top of the pricing. I know it's $200 more than my friend paid for similar treatment that started 2 and a half years ago. I asked about that and wasn't told it was because of my age, I was just told the price had gone up. In fact lucky me, the price went up just a couple weeks before by almost $100...

But I think age is a factor in his pricing because my quote says "comprehensive adult orthodontic treatment - option A" at the top.

That factor does NOT bother me. As an adult he's going to end up seeing me a couple more times to get the same work done since my teeth will, on average, move slower. Hence the price.

Same reason why I get my hair cut cheaper than a girl's although my hairdresser jokes that I'm more work and pickier than most of her female clients.... I do tip her well LOL.

Natalie

#9 Post by Natalie »

good point merytan.

i chose metal over ceramic right at the last minute. i figured if i was going to be wearing braces they'd be visible anyway so i may as well not look as though i was trying to hide them. i thought it would be better for someone to look and think oh she has braces rather than spend sometime staring at my mouth trying to figure out what was on my teeth! and i'm not saying that anyone or indeed everyone would do this but it was just a thought i had!

if i had gone with ceramic then i would have wanted to take advantage of them being more descreet so i would have gone with ligs to match...i was worried about staining (i smoke and like to drink red wine and eat curry. i didn't want to have to worry about what i could and couldn't eat for this reason so i figured metal would be better for me then once they were on i could forget about them. the sort of person i am i would have been checking for staining all the time otherwise! :)

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

I'd just like to point out that the difference in cost between all metal and ceramic "social six" is actually a very small proportion of the total treatment cost.

From the orthodontic suppliers orthocare.co.uk (which is where my ortho orders his stuff)

intrigue silk ceramic brackets £7.95 each making a total of £47.70 for 6
basic metal spectrum II brackets £1.70 each making a total of £10.20

£37 (about 70 USD) is a pretty small part of treatment costs that generally run into the thousands.

Natalie

#11 Post by Natalie »

i wasn't offered social six...either metal or ceramic...i would have had to have paidn£400 more for ceramic than i did with metal.

Anticipator

#12 Post by Anticipator »

Anticpator you make some good points, but for many of us with ceramics, it's got nothing to do with having them for visibility factors. My ortho puts upper six on all his adults (18 years and over) for free, as he considers them a better look than a metal mouth for adults. He's also loves the glow of the coloured ligs on them.
I'm sure that there are some adults who choose ceramic brackets to produce a "glow" when using colored ligs but I truly doubt that it's a statistically significant percentage that opts for ceramics for that reason.

I'm going to stick with my position that ceramic brackets are largely chosen because they are not as visible. I personally think that colors look better on metal brackets, but that's my opinion.
He's also found that the majority of ceramic brackets are smoother in finish and therefore more comfortable. Something I agree with, due to having two different brands of ceramic brackets and two different brands of stainless steel brackets in my mouth. Ok ... that's a limited amount of research ... but more than most can do in one journey! :lol:
I've also read that they are smoother, but I've also read they are larger and bulkier.
I guess some people with braces do notice other people with braces, but remember people without braces (unless they have a fetish), will not notice ... it's just not important. So this is only an issue for the wearer and easily fixed by a visit to the ortho for new ligs, or waiting till your next appointment. This has not detered the many people on this site who still wear clear with ceramics due to them preferring this look.
I disagree that only people with braces and people with fetishes notice other peoples' teeth, otherwise I'd imagine less of us would get involved with getting our teeth fixed at all.;)

Plus if your statement were true that "people without braces will not notice (other people with braces)" then why even bother for ceramic at all?

Maybe it's a cultural difference between the US and NZ, but I think that with as many people who've grown up with the luxury of orthodontia during childhood in addition to the number of people who're currently going through it as adults, in the US teeth are paid attention to, and as an extention, the things on your teeth are paid attention to as well. My view was (when I was choosing brackets) and still is that metal brackets are more aesthetic than ceramic brackets with stained ligs.

I don't want to have to run to my ortho any time I feel like eating a staining food. My work schedule makes appointments hard enough to juggle without adding in additional quicky appointments (which I'm sure most orthos don't want to have to deal with) for purely aesthetic matters. I don't like to be a burden, I don't like to have to schedule in additional visits, I don't like to have yellow looking teeth, metal brackets seemed the proactive answer.
It's a shame you're finding orthodontics an inconvenience. Maybe you need to be more proactive with your treatment, and you'll find the only times you remember you have brackets is when you eat ... and that's very minor ... and clean ... which for me is only two or three times a day ... again minor, when compared to the many other things I do daily!
I do find having braces an inconvenience or maybe a better way of saying it is "it involves commitments." It involves commitments of expense, time, image alteration, diet, occasional pain, and increased hygeine. I'm certainly happy to have the ability to do this for myself, but I did not want to add on additional commitments such as having to skip certain menu items for fear of staining seeing as how I'm already skipping a number because of the "no no" list we've all been given.

No, having braces isn't a huge inconvience and I didn't mean it to sound that way, but it is a lot of small commitments that you have to address fairly regularly. Again, I'm happy to be going through this, I chose this completely for myself, but it does impact our daily lives, and when making my choice for brackets I tried to limit its impact, at least where I could.
I hope things continue well with your treatment, and apart from the inconvenience issues, you sound happy with your treatment ... and that's good! :banana:
Thank you, I am quite happy overall, I think my braces are due to come off quite soon (within the next month or two is my guess). I've seen your recent entries in your journal and your teeth are looking great.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Betty Bat

#13 Post by Betty Bat »

I think that braces are an inconvenience, too! They aren't bad and they aren't keeping me from doing what I want to do, but it does take me longer to eat and longer to clean. And, I still wear elastics at night, which isn't a thrill.

In the same way, I wear glasses (bifocals) and I consider that an inconvenience, too. They get dirty, they get spots when I go out in the rain, it's hard to read the labels on items on the top shelf in the grocery store, and so on.

And, I'm kind of short - that's an inconvenience, too. I can't reach things on the top shelf in my kitchen, and so on.

So, why is it not acceptable to say that braces are an inconvenience?

Natalie

#14 Post by Natalie »

He does, but he charges a minimal fee for it. His reasoning is that kids are usually happy with metal and adults deserve to be treated as adults and get what he calls 'the professional' look for no extra fee.
the professional look? is this to say that metal brackets don't look as professional as ceramics? i'm confused...

skibunnie29

#15 Post by skibunnie29 »

I chose ceramic because even though you can see them, they are not as in your face noticable. I look young for my age and wearing metal braces would make me look even younger. I did not want to get braces and was horrified when I found out. I made the committment, but I'm so happy there are options today that didn't exist years ago. The ceramics are a comforting option for me. I think it's a personal choice of the ortho and patient. I saw adults with metal and I thought nothing of it. I however would feel weird at my age. Once again that is just me though.

Thank goodness for choices, because of that more and more people are getting treatment they may have not have gotten.

:)
Braced April 26th 2007
Inspire ICE on top.
Metal on bottom.