Mean assistant :-( (my rant for the month)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Mean assistant :-( (my rant for the month)

#1 Post by cowlypso »

So I had my adjustment on Wednesday, and decided to go with a hot pink powerchain on top, turqoise on the bottom. Well, yesterday night (Thursday) I had some vanilla ice cream that had a slight yellowish tint, and it totally stained my hot pink chain this nasty orange/salmon color. How on earth vanilla ice cream stained my powerchain, I'll never know. But it did.

Today I called the office and asked if they had any suggestions, and the receptionist said that they could change it for me today. So I said that would be wonderful and headed over at the time she gave me.

I walked in and the assistant came up front and looked at the note that said "stained powerchain" and whispered "that's not an emergency!" Apparently Fridays are only for emergencies, and the assistant was all annoyed that the receptionist told me to come in. I explained to the assistant that I had just called to see if they had any suggestions on taming the day-glow orange, and didn't at all say it was an emergency, but the receptionist told me to go ahead and come in.

So she's still grumbling about Fridays being only for emergencies, then she switched to chastising me for wanting it changed. She was going on about how changing them too much can cause root resorption and make my teeth fall out and all that, because she was going to be tugging on the teeth to change the chain. Of course, if she hadn't been in such a crummy mood, she wouldn't have been tugging on the chain half as hard!!!

I offered about three times to either come back next week on a normal day or to not get it changed at all. But she just told me to sit down and she changed it, all the while telling me how she shouldn't be changing it and I shouldn't have come in. Meanie!

dugsmom

#2 Post by dugsmom »

If it weren't for people like us, she wouldn't have a job!!!! I applaud you for sticking with it and getting it changed. I'm a wimp...I probably would've turned around and left (unless I get angry...then I have to watch my mouth).
Your story reminds me of the time when my nurse practitioner turned into a evil you know what just because I was complaining that she was hurting me (I was pregnant and she was wiggling around my uterus which felt awful). I told that it felt awful and she snapped at me and said," I don't know why you're complaining...you've had something bigger than my hand inside of you." I told her something...I don't remember what since I was so angry but I do know that she never snapped at me again.

Dimples

#3 Post by Dimples »

You are better than me, because I would've let that chick have it! With all the money you are paying too? Who is she to try and scold you for doing her job. With me, she wouldn't have gotten further than the whisper to the receptionist, because I would've set her straight. You are an adult, the same as her. Don't let her belittle you for something you are spending YOUR thousands on and are entitled to. If your powerchains are stained, you have a right to have them changed. Like someone already said, if it wasn't for people like us, she wouldn't have a job. And you didn't ask to come in anyway, the receptionist told you to come in, so if she had a problem, she should've took it up with receptionist privately.
If I were you, I would complain to the ortho or office manager.

BamaGirl

#4 Post by BamaGirl »

I'm with Dimples!!! She needs to learn that she can't treat people that way!! That was totally uncalled for and should be reported!! :-(* If she hates her job that much then she needs to find a new line of work.....NOT working with the public!!!

BamaGirl

Dimples

#5 Post by Dimples »

Like I said, I would complain. Sometimes you have to seperate work from home. Even with sensitive issues. And I know so, because my work history has been nothing but customer service and I have had situations where I had to deal with serious emotional issues and then come to work. You have to put your game face on when you report to work(there is such a thing as work ethics), if not, then take the day off if you just can't handle it or you don't feel up to par. Yes I have had bad days at work, but not to the point where I am belittling other adults for something that wasn't their fault.
With me, it would'nt have happened, because I'm not going to stand for another adult to belittle me when i'm paying her, for something that wasn't even my fault. And even if it wasn't my fault, it still won't happen, because the last time I checked, I am a grown woman, and if I treat you with decency and respect, then I expect the same in return, less you get treated the same.
And no I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed...seriously.

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

Well, I'm not sure that I've ever seen her before in the office (or that she's ever worked with me, at least). I'm terrible with faces, though, so I really haven't got a clue. But anyway, usually everybody in there is very friendly and kind. So I'll write it off to her having a bad day. I definitely have those on occassion.

I sometimes wonder about the whole "I'm an adult and I should be treated as one" thing. First of all, it was my day off, so I walked in there in a t-shirt and a hooded sweatshirt, looking all of 12. So maybe she didn't treat me like an adult because I didn't look like one. But, of course, I don't think that they should talk that way to children either... How about "I'm a person and I should be treated as one"?

Dimples

#7 Post by Dimples »

Yes this type of treatment isn't acceptable with children either. I have 3 and I wouldn't go for it. I was speaking from an adult point of view. And yes respect is a two way street.
You didn't post the extra details and if you charge it off as having a bad day, then why complain about it. Charge it off as a bad day.

And even if she did mistake you for a child, she still shouldn't have reacted the way she did.

jaynage

#8 Post by jaynage »

Ugh, what a cranky pants!
I feel very lucky to have such a friendly ortho. I've got ceramic braces, and I was in the clear-coloured powerchains for a good 7 months or so whilst closing extraction gaps, so I feel your stain pain! My ortho actually said that if the chain got really stained and yellow, and I had a special event or something to go to in between my appointments, that I was welcome to come back in and he would change the chain for me. I only had to do this twice (once for a wedding, and once for anniversary dinner, gosh, so vain!!), but definitely a life saver!
You really shouldn't have to cop that sort of attitude though. I hope the rest of your treatment entails service with a smile :D

Jillianleab

#9 Post by Jillianleab »

Sounds like she was having a bad day or was ticked off that on an "emergency only" day she actually had to do some work! I've gone in to my ortho's office on days they don't take appointments and the few people there are usually sitting around gossiping! They've never been rude like this individual was, however....

I think you are right to just say she was having a bad day and let it go. If it happens again (like if she makes a nasty comment wheny you go for your next adjustment or something) then that warrants a mention to your ortho, in my opinion.

Sometimes I wonder where people get the audacity to behave the way they do!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806