Quad Helix... Please Help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ash0708

Quad Helix... Please Help!

#1 Post by ash0708 »

Hi all,

I am a newbie and I just recently received upper and lower Damon braces (4-5-07) and received my quad helix last Thursday (4-12). I am having so many problems with it! It has been 4 days and my tongue is torn up and I still can't swallow. I also have geographic tongue, and I think the quad helix is irritating me more than it would others. In fact, today is the fourth day and it has been the worst of all. I woke up with a bleeding tongue.

What should I do? Do you think I should call my ortho? I am really concerned.

Thanks,
Ashley

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I'm sure there will be more responces later but this is the one I think I would do. I would start Salt-water treatments at least 2-3 times a day to help heal the irratated spot along with toughen up the mouth.

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ash0708

#3 Post by ash0708 »

I honestly don't think I can take this one more second. I want to rip this dang thing out of my mouth!! I am calling my ortho tomorrow so we can talk about other alternatives. I did not sign up for this torture!! I sound like a baby, I know, but I can't even drink water b/c every time I do, my tongue bleeds. Wax won't stay up there, and I'm doing the salt water rinses to no avail. This is pure hades!!!

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

Check this out - Brandy used flex bandaids to cover her expander after her SARPE surgery. I know there is is picture of the box she bought somewhere on her site as well. Here is the link - just scroll down a bit to see the picture.
http://brandysjawjourney.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html

ash0708

#5 Post by ash0708 »

Just an update..

I called my ortho today and he got me in immediately. He took a look at it and decided to take it out completely. He is going to make me a different expander (I think it is removable) for my next appointment. Thanks for the responses!

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

Hi Ashley,

I am so sorry to hear that you had so many problems with the Quad-Helix expander. You did the best thing, you called your orthodontist. I am so glad he got you in so quickly :D . I bet just being able to get an appt. the same day was a big relief for you. I'm glad there was an alternative solution to the Quad-Helix. I think my ortho's office would have done the exact same thing. I do feel while going through ortho treatment, there may be times when there is discomfort, but you should never be in pain. My orthodontist and his staff always tells me never to hesitate to call them if I have any problems.

I had a Quad-Helix, and the first few weeks were a challenge but nothing like what you were going through. After a few weeks, the only time I thought about it was when I was eating.

I do hope you're feeling alot better now.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Glad you were able to take care of the situation Ashley, I'm hoping for the best that there will be better alternatives for your treatment.

~Tim~

PS: I like your name and continue to hope to follow your story.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

GG

#8 Post by GG »

Hi Ashley,
i am new to this site. got my quad helix fixed yesterday and was a nervous wreck. was so sorry to hear you had so much trouble with yours. mine is very uncomfortable and awkward as hell but am trying to grin and bear it (pardon the pun).
how have you been getting on since?
GG