Extractions caused too much space.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Irinadax

Extractions caused too much space.....

#1 Post by Irinadax »

I have had two upper bi-cuspids extracted to relieve crowding. But it appears that now the extractions caused more space than was needed. In moving my canines back to fill the extraction gap, a new, and rather noticeable gap has formed between my canine and the teeth next to them. My ortho's solution to this is to push my four front teeth BACK. I DO NOT want to do this b/c I'm so afraid it will flatten out my profile (I have thin lips to begin with). My question is, why can't he just move the canines and molars FOWARD? How important is it that the canines FIT in the right 'bite position' if it's just a matter of millimeters? Has this happened to anyone here?

spaced*out

#2 Post by spaced*out »

I had four teeth extracted and they are pulling my teeth back on top and forward on bottom to keep my teeth from shifting on bottom they put me in a LHA Its a little bar that fits behind me teeth and keeps them from filling in the extraction hole. I do wish you the best of luck

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I have the same problem from 25 years ago. My ortho's plan is to move the teeth forward and then spread them out a little. after braces, they will be veneered to add length to them. This should repair some of the damage from grinding. The hole is not big enough for an implant so I'll have a bridge to fill the holes.

I truly understand your concern. My teeth were lost prior to this round of braces from where they were pulled back so far in my mouth.

Best of luck to you.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

payoki

same here.

#4 Post by payoki »

because of my overbite, I did not object to upper biscup extraction but I felt that I didn't need any extraction fr lower teeth but my ortho removed four of my biscups Now my ortho is trying to move my lower back molars forward to fill in the extra space. My chin is looking smaller and smaller.. :cry:
mother of one.

Irinadax

#5 Post by Irinadax »

Thanks for the encouragement folks :-) I know I have a valid concern and I think my ortho sometimes forgets I'm 35 and not 12.