Had extractions today and in need of advice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LaaLaa

Had extractions today and in need of advice

#1 Post by LaaLaa »

Hey all, today I've had four teeth extracted at an appointment at my dentist's office at 2:45. The whole procedure only took about 45 minutes but boy was I wrong about that it would be painless. Well, the anesthetic injection hurt pretty bad even though they used numbing gel on the areas beforehand. But, I was used to it from previous deep cleanings and what not so I guess it was alright. Still, hurt like hell. The whole process was a little painful. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't 100% pain free like I was expecting it to be. My doctor didn’t give me any pain meds because he said Advil should be fine. :x

Now my question is, it's been about three and a half hours and the two places I had the top teeth extracted are still bleeding. :shock: Is this normal?? I'm using lots and lots of tissue to put pressure on it but it's annoying, hurts a little, and am getting a little worried.

Also, the staff there told me to refrain from gargling/rinsing mouth, drinking things with a straw, and noodles or pasta that are in a watery sauce. They said the reason for this is because when you rinse your mouth too often the blood that has dried up on the holes will get washed away and it'll make the healing process longer and painful. So, I guess what they said makes sense but I've read so many posts here as well as others giving me advice that they should rinse their mouths with warm salt water to speed up the healing process. Now, I'm just confused on what I should do. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :?

chillin-in-grilz

#2 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I had 6 extracted, its normal for bleeding. But if its steady going for a long time, then there is something wrong.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

LaaLaa

#3 Post by LaaLaa »

Thanks guys for the advice. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, the anesthesia really kicked me in the butt and I was zonked out for a while. Well, I was bleeding quite steadily for a while, a good 5 hours to be exact on my top two but all is well now. Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems eating tonight. I started with some yogurt (Yoplait's Whips...decadent and super soft which is always a plus for us), some cut strawberries, and even a had a little piece of croissant. I've taken some Advils although I'm not feeling any pain at the moment, so hopefully there won't be any problems tomorrow *crosses fingers*.

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

It may be too late to help you Lala, but in the future and for anyone else who happens to read this, Maryaten has the secret relief:

Take a tea bag (regular tea) and soak it for a few minutes in warm water. Wring it out and pack it into the extraction area. Bite down and hold it there as long as you like.

The tannic acid in the tea will help to sto the bleeding and it sooths the tissue.

I did this when I had my wisdom teeth out (about 7 years ago) and it was amazingly helpful.

Good luck to you and I am glad to hear you're doing better.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Clairey Fairey

#5 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I was told not to rinse with anything (apart from drinking of course) for 24 hours so the blood clots arent disturbed. And then to start salt water rinses after 24 hours.

Hope u feel better tomorrow. Sleep always helps :D

LaaLaa

#6 Post by LaaLaa »

Thank you so much guys for the additional comments. I really appreciate every response.

jennielee81 ~ thanks you for Meryaten's secret formula, I will sure try it out when I get my Wisdom's out *shudders*

clairey Fairey ~ thanks for the info and a warm note

Meryaten ~ thank you always for the prompt replies

NikkiB

#7 Post by NikkiB »

Hi all. LaaLaa: I can sympathize as I just had an upper extraction done on Wednesday. I have to say, it doesn't hurt but the surrounding teeth are a bit wobbly and the area where the extraction occurred is now bruised looking. I certainly hope this doesn't happen to you. If you notice the surrounding teeth moving, don't be alarmed as I was told that this was "normal". Here is to a fellow Seattle Archwired member and to a better smile.

lz

#8 Post by lz »

yeah you wouldnt want to rinse or drink from a straw that can cause dry socket where the clot is pulled out and then you could have bone exposed and it can make you hurt SOO bad even cause you be be pretty sick from it.
I'm glad ur doing better.