canine exposure surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jabberwocky

canine exposure surgery

#1 Post by jabberwocky »

hey guys.
I just had my impacted canine tooth exposed on tuesday. I do feel worse today than i did yesterday or the day of the procedure, but ah well. I was just wondering:
am i supposed to actually try to eat or stick to the liquid diet?
I'm so scared of food getting stuck in the hole and getting infected (that happened to my sister when she had her wisdom teeth out). Seeing as that i have heart problems infections in my mouth really aren't a good idea (i'm taking anti-biotics right now). So what did you guys do? They didn't tell me that i should try to flush out the hole or anything (they told me to not mess with it at all because it could mess with the clot).
I think i feel worse though due to lack of energy and not being able to eat anything solid or even partially filling since tuesday. I am too leary of soft foods like cottage cheese. Basically anything with any solid mass freaks me out.
ha i'm sorry i must seem like the whinest person on this forum.
"i'm hungry, I hurt, blah blah blah"

Shawnie

#2 Post by Shawnie »

Hi jabberwocky,

I had this same surgery about a year ago. At first it was just liquids. Try some bouillon, I liked chicken bouillon. At least I felt like it tasted like real food. I couldn't have it too hot though, and the first day milkshakes were too cold. Yogurt, and blended soups, Campbells soup at hand that you can drink were also good.

Also, try jello, graduating to jello with fruit. I remember on day three post-op going out for dinner and having some Greek chicken rice soup, it tasted so good. Oh and then I had a sundae for dessert.

You'll be back to normal soon, and it will all be a distant memory as it is for me. I even had to ask my boyfriend what I ate back then because I had forgotten. Funny how when you're in it, it seems like it will never be over and that you would never forget, but you do.

Take Care
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

crysredd

#3 Post by crysredd »

Yikes... I had that surgery done when I was younger ...

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I had my canine exposed. I wouldn't worry about the 'hole' getting food stuck in it. Remember its not really a 'hole' like when they pull teeth. There is a tooth in it.

My problem was the pain it caused to try to eat anything. That area around my "Ruth" tooth was extremely sore for a couple of months. I ate lots of milk shakes, jello, etc., then graduated to soft food. I remember the day I could finally eat cheese fries...I was in heaven. The fries had to be not very crunchy though :-)

Good luck, I hope you see lots of movement soon from your roof tooth.....it is quite exciting and worth the pain and bother.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.