HELP!!! Hawley v/s Bonded

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KDangel18

HELP!!! Hawley v/s Bonded

#1 Post by KDangel18 »

I go tomorrow to get my impressions made for my retainers. My ortho wants me to get the bonded ones, but i've heard some horror stories about them. I'm thinking of going with the Hawley on top and bottom, just so that I will be able to floss without having to buy the expensive floss for the rest of my life, but I wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks so much :-#)

Upper-Ceramic
Lower-Metal
Braced 2/22/06
Removed 5/23/07

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Bonded retainers require 0 compliance on your part. They can be checked and fixed at regular dental recall appointments. Any removable appliance requires your due diligence. Everybody says they will be good about wearing them but most people are not the best about it as time passes. There are pro's and con's of each. And you don't have to buy floss threaders if you don't want too. You'd be surprised how easy it is to slide regular floss under a bonded retainer wire. And also remember it is only on your anteriors. Good luck with the decision.

Best,
Rory

LynnHowell

#3 Post by LynnHowell »

My two cents is that bonded are MUCH easier (and more comfortable, too) than the removable appliances. I have an upper Hawley and a lower bonded, as well as a lower Essix. The bonded retainer is wonderful...the Hawley is the worst.

Hawleys cost a lot more money than the bonded retainers...can't you try the bonded ones out and if you don't like them, then get the Hawleys?

Good luck!
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com