Eating good 3 days post braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TLB in Minneapolis

Eating good 3 days post braces

#1 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

FYI
My teeth are throbbing and I don't feel like chewing but I am forcing myself to eat like I did pre braces and it's helping alleviate the pain. I am eating lettuce, crackers, and I even bit in to a burger. As long as I chew slow and with caution, it's going okay. Just thought I'd let other newbies know..

bracieb

#2 Post by bracieb »

good for you!
I was thinking today that you can really get used to anything- last week I thought I would NEVER be more comfortable with these molar bands with the attached razor blades on the inside (well, ok, they're tubes for the inside wire I will get eventually) but in only a week I am much better- still a waxin' 24/7 but not wincing every time I eat. I am even down to two points to wax from 8- still those lower inside molar bands, but not the rest of the plethora of pointy protuberances in my mouth! :wink:

Tamiel34

#3 Post by Tamiel34 »

WOW!!! Way to go TLB! :jump: It took me about a week to really be able to chew. It was not so much the pain as my bite. It seems to change eveyday! My mouth doesn't seem to want to work right! :lol:

LaaLaa

#4 Post by LaaLaa »

Oh my goodness, I'm so jealous!! A burger?? :shock: I've had both my top and bottom braced for approximately 5 days now and I haven't been able to eat anything except for extremely soft foods and liquids. This is mainly because my back teeth don't touch each other. *sigh* I'm trying to eat normally but when you can't chew in the back and the front is too painful, I just don't see any other options available. :( I want to eat a salad dammit!!! :x Oh yeah, another bracket popped off today. My second one in less than 3 weeks. :?

Windpetal

#5 Post by Windpetal »

Good for you!!!! I still can't take a bite out of anything...I have to cut or tear every piece. I was determined to eat a steak though, and I did even though it took me like an hour!

insanemommy03

#6 Post by insanemommy03 »

I am looking forward to losing a few winter pounds with this liquid diet that I will be eating for the next couple of weeks!!!!

:D

lz

#7 Post by lz »

I got my braces a month ago and that night I went and had taco salad at a mex. rest.
I MADE myself eat cuz i was starving lol.
I was eating steak within 5 days! It really does help to make yourself eat in the beginning.

wirerose

#8 Post by wirerose »

Windpetal, I am with you. I am tearing everything into pieces that fit beyond my teeth and pretty much slobber on it until it is soft enough to chew. lol I guess anything can be a soft food diet that way.

LaaLaa, I hear you on the salad bit! But after seeing what a bunch of cooked spinach can do to my braces I am hesitant to eat any salad. I can't believe how much spinach can get caught in braces! Its insane!

Bracieb, all I can say is ouch....I think I have to get molar bands at my next appointment. They said some "appliance" will be in by then. At first I thought headgear, but I really have no idea. I am a bit nervous, esp regarding your post of the razors! yikes! I am glad to hear it is getting better. It seems that everything they stick in our mouths gets better day by day. I will cling to that sense of hope.... = )

kirjax

#9 Post by kirjax »

Lala I hope it gets better for you. Wow 3 brackets broke already. I was told that after 3 breaks I have to start paying :? I guess that's how they get more money out of you!!

I don't want to brag or boast either but I am not having that much trouble eating. And I don't know if that's good or bad. I figure if I hurt that means my teeth are moving if I don't hurt maybe they're not doing what they're supposed to. But it's not like I don't have any discomfort. I can't chew hard things. But I am doing my best to eat the things I want.

We had a family dinner tonight for mother's day and I was able to eat chicken (it was fairly moist and easy to manage) and I had baked potatoes, a crab cake and a piece of cake for dessert. I didn't have any trouble. It took longer to chew and swallow. At one point I bit to hard on the chicken and it kinda brought a sharp shooting pain. I find it more difficult to just maneuver food around with all this crap poking at my gums and cheeks.

however I am sure once my bottom brackets are on and they change the wire in my top at my next visit I'll be singing a different tune.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Thathrill

#10 Post by Thathrill »

It took me about a good 5-6 days before I felt like eating denser foods than liquids. I am sure my teeth could have handled it with minor discomfort but I didnt want to deal with it. But after that I have been able to eat pretty much whatever I want (aside from the "banned" food list) Chewing down on meats are ok also. I agree that chewing when you can helps you recover faster