How long did it take to...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TLB in Minneapolis

How long did it take to...

#1 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

I'm newly braced (5/3) so lots of questions! I have ceramics on uppers and metal lowers.

So my next question is,

"How long did it take you to adjust to the braces or when did you actually forget that they're on for a few moments?

I am still quite aware of the bulkiness in my mouth and hope that I'll get used to it soon. It is getting better though..

Thanks!!!

looloog

#2 Post by looloog »

I agree, youll never entirely stop feeling the bulk, but you will start to feel MUCH more comfortable with the feeling. Honestly, it was somewhere during month 2 for me that i realized wow, the moments that i forget i have them are getting longer and more frequent. And now in month 4 I remember them when I try to eat something that requires a little bit of caution, like bagels or bread crusts etc.....it will get better, hang in there.

markuhde

#3 Post by markuhde »

Hmmm, I got braces Wed. 5/2. I was loving them and playing with them with my tongue and touching them and getting to know them and showing them off all day wed. Yesterday i had some irritation and they bugged me. Most of today I just forgot about them. They feel pretty nice actually.

Pepper

#4 Post by Pepper »

Meryaten wrote:I'll be honest with you - I've never entirely stopped noticing the bulk. BUT, the bulk doesn't bother me, and if my mind is very much elsewhere, then I don't notice. And as long as I stay properly hydrated, I don't get any chafing or any other issues.

ImageImage

(Disclaimer: I am not a dental professional nor do I play one on television)
Agreed.

bracieb

#5 Post by bracieb »

I've had brackets on top for about a 3 weeks and an archwire for just over a week. I can say that as I sit here, I don't really feel them anymore, but as soon as I move anything I do!

I find when I get talking I really notice and it is a real PIA- my lips get "stuck" on my braces and I feel as though I must look a real geek when I talk without my upper lip moving... but I am sure it is barely noticeable (at least that is what I tell myself...).

I don't suppose that feeling really goes away, but I am trying to relax my lips more when I talk to ease that a bit. Hard to do, as my ortho told me that I have (can't remember the proper name) strong lips that pushed my front teeth back. They are the only ones wired in right now, to pull them out enough to put brackets on my lowers without the top teeth breaking them off. I suppose I need to relax my mouth/lips more anyway. Sounds odd, doesn't it? :roll:

lz

#6 Post by lz »

I got braces 4/12 so about 2weeks and 3 days. I have gotten alot more comfortable about it and sometimes I do forget they are there. The most I notice is when I'm talking to someone in public and I feel like I may spit on them (as my braces hold spit ew) or just feel that they are noticing all this metal. I'm sure this will gradually go away like the pain everything sorta just subsides as the days go by.
I agree chap stick is just like my best friend these days..... don't leave home without it!!

gracie381

#7 Post by gracie381 »

I agree 100% with Kiwi!! I really only notice my braces when I eat or right after an adjustment for a couple of days!! I will say that after wearing mine for over a year that I still dread the big before bed cleaning, but I know it will all be worth it in the end!! It does get better though, I promise!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

skyclad

Looking nice

#8 Post by skyclad »

Gracie,
your teeth look great!!!!
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath