What do bends in the archwires do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracieb

What do bends in the archwires do?

#1 Post by bracieb »

I did a search, but didn't turn up any obvious answers. They are probably buried in this forum somewhere, as I am not the only one to ask, but...

What are the little u-shaped bends in the archwire supposed to do and how does it work? I get the idea that it somehow increases the pressure on the teeth, but how?

I have one bend each over the canines on top, but the wires are not connected to the top teeth, except for the three front teeth the ortho is trying to pull out toward the lip. My lips get stuck on these darned bends, too- but not as much after the tech bent them in a bit.

Just curious.

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Not sure if this will help, but this is all I found on the internet so far.

bends -

first order Offsets in the arch wire to accommodate the labiolingual and buccolingual thickness of teeth or to produce horizontal forces.

second order Offsets in the archwire in the vertical plane for tipping and uprighting teeth.

third order A twist in a rectangular arch along the long axis of the archwire producing torque.

gable,tent bends Bends to upright teeth at extraction sites.

"V"bends Place to mark, solder or twist wire or activate tooth movement.

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

FlyingScotsman

#3 Post by FlyingScotsman »

Hmmm, I'm not sure what they could be...

Unless it's the hooks for elastics you're talking about?

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Could you post a pic?

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

are they "closing loops"?

I agree, a picture would be really helpful for this one.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

bracieb

#6 Post by bracieb »

hmmmm.... none of the above..... my bends are quite large in comparison to those pictured.

They are bends with the open side down, the size of a ceramic bracket, right over the brackets on my canines. They are not held in with ligs, but sit right over the bracket. The teeth he is trying to move ARE held in by ligs- and there are only 3 of those.

Sigh. I will try to post a pic. That means I have to figure out how to do that, and find a site that will work. My daughter has a spot at photobucket that seems to work, I'll try that.

I'll be back.

bracieb

#7 Post by bracieb »

Thanks, Meryaten!

I'm going to try this,and if itdoesn't work, I'll get you to help me!

I just joined photobucket andmy fingers are crossed.

This is how my teeth look now. I had to edit heavily as seeing my pores the size of the original image was too shocking, and I had to breathe for a bit :lol: There are just some things we don't need to see!

bracieb

#8 Post by bracieb »

Well! Would you look at that! It worked!

I am so used to seeing my teeth in a mirror-- they look all wrong, and I can see an elastic has slipped. I'll post the pics of my arches, seeing as I am on a roll wtih this thing.

and

The lower brackets will go on when the upper teeth are pulled out enough not to break off the brackets.

You never think your teeth are so awful until you see them like this!

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

I wonder if they are intended as some kind of opening loop? You said that those front 3 teeth are being brought forward so that you don't bite off the bottom brackets. Well I wonder if the bends are acting as a spring (the"memory" wire will want to go back to its original straight shape, and will thereby push the front teeth forward?)

I might be talking rubbish, but that's all I can think of.

bracieb

#10 Post by bracieb »

You are probably right, Lisa65. I'll ask in a couple of weeks when I go in next, and finally come home with that inside bottom wire and have to learn to eat all over again, AGAIN.

:lol:

rsprouse

#11 Post by rsprouse »

I wonder if they are intended as some kind of opening loop? You said that those front 3 teeth are being brought forward so that you don't bite off the bottom brackets. Well I wonder if the bends are acting as a spring (the"memory" wire will want to go back to its original straight shape, and will thereby push the front teeth forward?)

I might be talking rubbish, but that's all I can think of.
Looks correct, they are likely for distalizing the posterior portion of the arch in this case.

Best
Rory

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

woohoo - a lucky guess :lol: