Enamel reduction/slimming down of the teeth?????????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chillin-in-grilz

Enamel reduction/slimming down of the teeth?????????

#1 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

What exactly is that anyways? What do they do? What is it for?
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Clairey Fairey

#2 Post by Clairey Fairey »

They shave about half a mm of enamal off a few teeth to narrow them and create small(ish) gaps between each teeth in order to move the teeth back/straighten them. Should create the same results as having teeth out but avoids taking out healthy teeth and the possibility of creating too much of a gap and getting the 'sunken' look.

I suppose it all just depends on your teeth, treatment needed, and whether your ortho is trained to do it or not.

Hope this helps :D

FlyingScotsman

#3 Post by FlyingScotsman »

I had this procedure carried out on my lower incisors. Totally painless, although admittedly, not entirely pleasant. In my case, the ortho used a few different files, starting with a coarser grain, before smoothing them with a finer one, just like you would with wood really. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's preferable to extractions!! :D

Clairey Fairey

#4 Post by Clairey Fairey »

FlyingScotsman wrote:I had this procedure carried out on my lower incisors. Totally painless, although admittedly, not entirely pleasant. In my case, the ortho used a few different files, starting with a coarser grain, before smoothing them with a finer one, just like you would with wood really. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's preferable to extractions!! :D
That does not sound like fun!! Although anything would be better than extractions, they are scary!! :shock:

chillin-in-grilz

#5 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

O ok thanks! I been seeing it for a while. So does it remove plaque on your teeth? Like My canine that is moving, it has like a darker mm colorness to it. Is tha plaque? Can it be removed?

Braces January 29, 2007

chillin-in-grilz

#6 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

ooooo I get it, thank you for clearing that up for me.

Braces January 29, 2007