can you overdo it with the waterpik?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracieb

can you overdo it with the waterpik?

#1 Post by bracieb »

I have to say, the waterpik is a great thing. I am using it 2x a day to blast gunk out of my hardware, and I just got a portable one to blast it out at work after lunch. Even after I brush carefully with my electric toothbrush, I still get food bits out with the waterpik. Eeew.

I don't use the highest pressure setting, and I concentrate on getting the gunk out of the brackets on the molar bands and the wire appliance inside on the roof of my mouth. I just do the gums once a day. My gums are not sore in any way.

These wires are real food magnets, and I am sure the delight will only double once I get a matching wire on the bottom inside.

Can you use the thing too often?

PfectPitch

#2 Post by PfectPitch »

My ortho warned me not to use high pressure and never aim it on the gums. Try getting the water at right angles to the brackets, not straight on, was his advice. Also, water pik as you probably know does not substitute for flossing. Personally, if it died, I would replace it the same day! Can't imagine all this metal without one.

bracieb

#3 Post by bracieb »

I can see how it might cause gum problems- even at the lower setting if I temporarily miss my aim and hit my tongue or something it can hurt!

So why do the instructions tell you to aim for the gumline?

I will have to teach the kids to use it carefully. I definitely has advantages, but you have to be careful.

Since getting braced my teeth are soooo tight to gether- i can floss more eaisly now, but those first coupel of days I couldn't get the floss in between my teeth- there was just no way of doing it- the floss would break every time. It's better now, but still a challenge.

Thanks for the answers!

DaisyMay66

#4 Post by DaisyMay66 »

My waterpick was very useful when I had braces, but now that I am debanded, I use it to blast my retainers. I have an upper hawley with some added acrylic on the front where the wire goes along the teeth. It becomes a plaque magnet and no amount of brushing can get it clean. The water pick works like a power washer to blast out all the crap that accumulates.