It's been 9 days since I got braces and....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TLB in Minneapolis

It's been 9 days since I got braces and....

#1 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

It hit me like a ton of bricks this afternoon doing laundry- I actually "forgot" about my braces for awhile. I guess I am finally getting used to all this hardware in my mouth. I still don't "like" them, but I tolerate them. They are there to do a job. After all, they are a temporary means to an end.

Seriously, if I can do this ANYBODY can! I am looking forward to my smile improving even though it wasn't that bad to begin with. I really like my 3M clarity ceramic braces on my upper arch. I kind of wish I had ceramic instead of metal on the lowers. They are very comfortable. I may switch to invisalign for my sister's wedding in September. For now, these are fine.

Thanks...

acehigh

#2 Post by acehigh »

You said, "If you can do it anybody can". I'm with you on that one!! :shock: At first I just wasn't all that happy, in fact, within the first hour of having my braces put on I went right back to the ortho and told him to take them off. (I was so close to crying it's not even funny....44 year old femal here). You will get used to them, believe me. I've had mine for 5 months now, and the results are just great. I look forward to my adjustments, and get excited to see even the most miniscule change in my teeth. I'm now working on an overjet (overbite) with elastics. (Good thing these elastics weren't given to me on day 1........I was in a state of some kind of panic.) But, seeing I was given them to wear three weeks ago.....it was nothing! Amazing how your mind can accept things when you're happier. :D By the way, were you the one that tried the Invisalign? (I wasn't a candidate for those).

Sweet Escape

#3 Post by Sweet Escape »

I've had my expander in for 5 months and I can always sorta tell its there but i can't really tell with the braces. I can't wait to get expander out.

e^jtheta

dang, i notice my braces all the time

#4 Post by e^jtheta »

:::sigh:::

I wish I was at that stage already.

I'm hopeful because I remember that when I got my spacers it was really weird to feel them with my tongue, and eating was a little painful for the first two weeks. After the two weeks though, I really didn't feel them at all.

So I know how big of a difference it was when I couldn't feel the spacers anymore. I wish it was like that for the braces already.

EJ

wirerose

me too

#5 Post by wirerose »

I got my braces on 9 days ago also. = )

[/url]

Thathrill

#6 Post by Thathrill »

I received my braces on the 2nd. I opted for ceramic uppers/bottoms. I hated braces the first day. Within the first hour a bracket popped off and I wasn't even chewing anything altho I felt the tension. It was on the upper right central incisor. When I went back in the couldn't believe it popped off. It was kinda funny but I wasn't in the best of moods. I had a dinner with a bunch a people I work with and they filled me with encouragement and shared their horror stories. Some asked me to smile wider since they couldn't see them. From then I felt better. I still do not like them but after being told I need braces from my early teens, I had to cave in. So I agree that if I can do it anyone can. I am used to them now

wirerose

#7 Post by wirerose »

Thathrill--oh no! I can't imagine having a bracket pop off! A couple of times I have had an instant of panic thinking what if the tension of the wire cause it to ping off of my teeth and cut my mouth. (horror music...reeek reeek reeek!) lol

I haven't been very self concious about my braces. Sometimes when I talk they really bother me. It feels like I have to talk around them. Like my lips close on the braces instead of closing all the way. Hmm...sounds strange and hard to explain.. lol They feel like a metal tray sticking out of my mouth. I wish they had like..."low profile" braces! They don't look like they would feel so cumbersome in my mouth... I worry I might trip on them...hehehehe

I haven't had them for very long, but I am trying to enjoy the funky quirkiness that they give me. I feel like I have more personality since I got them. = ) They kind of break the ice... (since we can't chew any lol)

wirerose

a question...

#8 Post by wirerose »

Can anyone tell me how many posts you have to do before you can add a signature to your profile? I am really anxious to add my little ticker...it makes me feel like I am making progress. = )