Braces annoying vs. painful?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirjax

Braces annoying vs. painful?

#1 Post by kirjax »

For me that's what it comes down to at the moment.

Mine are just plain ANNOYING!

I can't get used to the fact that when I smile I have to force my lip back over my mouth, or that when I talk I can't say anything with a "T" properly, and that the metal rings around my molars are jabbing me in both my tongue and cheek. And that I want to rip them out and just bag the whole thing!

I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I am really not in pain. I even ate something.....and haven't taken pain meds since yesterday afternoon...but the fact that they are annoying and uncomfortable is bothering me the most.

So I know it has to get better, right? Eventually I'm not going to even know these things are in my mouth, right? Please tell me that!! Get me through this :cry:

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

Annoying - the perfect word. Remember that some months are worse than others. Last month (5 months)I was ready to rip these suckers off. I couldn't speak or smile without my lip getting stuck up on a bracket (looked just like Elvis). Food was getting stuck in evey gap, brackets rubbing everywhere - the worst part though was that my lips couldn't come together. In a word....annoying. This month my lips meet, no Elivs lips, no rubbing. Go figure. I am enjoying this very much! Let's hope annoying stays away for another couple of adjustments :lol:

siui6

#3 Post by siui6 »

i got my braces in on tuesday, n yes i agree with u, these things feel so weird..n it such an annoying feeling getting food stuck in them :yuck: it also irritating when i try to smile! but after the pain is subsiding n im starting to chew..its getting better. im sure it just takes some getting used to. dont worry kirjax, we will get thru:)

kirjax

#4 Post by kirjax »

thanks guys.

I have had wax in all day.

I have learned its my new best friend, however lip stick is not. One smack to my lips and they were on my brackets lol...so now I think it will be clear lip gloss only! oye!

But I know it will take time but I just feel it's going to drag out and I'm going to be wishing my 2 years away which I don't want to do bc time flies as it is.

I don't know how my lips and gums will get used to the bulges if I keep using wax but I can't help it. My tongue already has a sore on it. I am doing salt water rinses a few times a day now and I have done nothing but swish water in my mouth all dang day!!

I did manage (or try) to eat some pizza bites. I bit through the pain bc damn I was hungry for something other then mac n cheese and mashpotatoes!!

I don't even have the bottoms yet but now I'm dreading it!

GinaLime

#5 Post by GinaLime »

My new braces (five days) don't hurt anymore, since I wax like a fiend and guzzle water like it's going out of style. But they're super ANNOYING! I'm usually really laid-back, but I've been cranky since I got them on. I can't close my mouth properly (horrible, since I got braces specifically to cut back my lip strain), and the braces make me look like a teenager -- not good, since I'm already on the young side for my profession.

Oh well ... at least I'll be done in two years, instead of still having problems and wishing I'd done something about it.

Thathrill

#6 Post by Thathrill »

Hang in there! I am slowly finding out that I am able to eat the same foods as I did before braces. I cut everything into smaller pieces so I am usually armed with a knife and fork. I don't think I started being adventurous until after 5-7 days. Altho I do love having an excuse to grab a smoothie :)

kirjax

#7 Post by kirjax »

oh I'm hydrated. I never am without my water bottle :D

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

KateEd

Annoying

#8 Post by KateEd »

I've been in braces for almost 4 weeks now, and I've never experienced any actual pain, some tenderness in my teeth, but nothing to stop me from eating. Today, for the first time, I actually felt like they were'nt a foreign object in my mouth, well, for a short time. I guess it will get better with time, since it already is. I've always hated having food between my teeth and now won't eat anything on the spur of the moment, because it ticks me off because for a few minutes of eating I'll have to spend ten minutes cleaning my teeth. I've found a few snacks that will actually melt behind your teeth, so all I have to do is rinse. Puffed Cheetohs and Goldfish crackers are great, no chewing necessary!. Yes, I know, you need to chew as much as you can for oral health, blood flow, etc...but if you have a busy job like mine you don't always have the time. Annoying definitely yes, but finding a way around it a challange. Hang in there, I will!

KateEd

Whoops!

#9 Post by KateEd »

I posted to the wrong page! Hope the info I gave will still be beneficial. Yes, drink lots of water, it's great for your mouth and your entire body. I've found that most of the prominent lip care products are crap. I recently took a chance and purchased an inexpensive pack of lip balms from good old Walmart, you get four in a pack for less than two dollars and my lips are healed. No dryness, even when the balm is gone, nice and soft. They're from Back2Basics Nature's Lipcare. My husband thought I was crazy until he started using it too, now he tells anyone he knows about how well it works. Pass it on...

KateEd

Annoying

#10 Post by KateEd »

I've been in braces for almost 4 weeks now, and I've never experienced any actual pain, some tenderness in my teeth, but nothing to stop me from eating. Today, for the first time, I actually felt like they were'nt a foreign object in my mouth, well, for a short time. I guess it will get better with time, since it already is. I've always hated having food between my teeth and now won't eat anything on the spur of the moment, because it ticks me off because for a few minutes of eating I'll have to spend ten minutes cleaning my teeth. I've found a few snacks that will actually melt behind your teeth, so all I have to do is rinse. Puffed Cheetohs and Goldfish crackers are great, no chewing necessary!. Yes, I know, you need to chew as much as you can for oral health, blood flow, etc...but if you have a busy job like mine you don't always have the time. Annoying definitely yes, but finding a way around it a challange. Hang in there, I will!

KateEd

No Whoops

#11 Post by KateEd »

I posted to the right page, just two different issues. Silly me.

markuhde

#12 Post by markuhde »

I've had times of soreness, but mostly I rather like how they feel and enjoy them. The pressure feels nice and they keep your tongue company.

nice teeth

#13 Post by nice teeth »

I have alot of pain. I never really use to but at my last adjustment they replaced my archwire with a stronger one and now I'm in constant pain :roll: . I know I will get use to it soon so it's no big deal.

kirjax

#14 Post by kirjax »

nice teeth wrote:I have alot of pain. I never really use to but at my last adjustment they replaced my archwire with a stronger one and now I'm in constant pain :roll: . I know I will get use to it soon so it's no big deal.
I am sorry your experiencing a bit of pain. I hope it gets better. I know I may be lucky this time around but I'm going to prepare myself for worse pain the next time :(

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!