Clears or Metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

insanemommy03

Clears or Metal

#1 Post by insanemommy03 »

ok i am having a hard time deciding if I go all metail or If I go clear on top metal on the bottom??

I am wondering if it will look odd with clear on the top and metal on the bottom. Being that you can see my bottom teeth more than my top when I talk??

Since I have had bad teeth I am good at hiding my top teeth due to the fangs that I have...

Any suggstions??

kirjax

#2 Post by kirjax »

I have ceramic on top and will get metal on bottom. It was cheaper to also do it this way. I didn't want to have metal on top but my bottom teeth never show so I figured I didn't care what goes on the bottoms.

Meryaten your teeth look really nice. How come your ceramics looks so much smaller then mine? it's probably just me!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have clear bottoms and lowers, people rarely ask about them. Most of the times if they say anything it's just "Oh, you wore your retainer today." I mean it's not that invisible but it's just a measure of the type of response from people. I thought about metal bottoms but it wouldn't have changed the price nor would it have made my tx date any sooner. I just chose what I wanted based on the fact that my teeth and braces would be sharing an awful lot of time together in my mouth.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kirjax

#4 Post by kirjax »

yes Mery, I think your right colors kinda do make them look smaller. I don't know if I'll opt for colors just yet. I want to get used to the fact that they're there in my mouth before going on with the colors. Maybe my very last month of braces I'll do something wild as a GOODBYE to the brackets for good :D

I actually do have a small mouth and the ortho said I have tiny teeth so that's probably why mine appear bigger.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

GinaLime

#5 Post by GinaLime »

I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. They're pretty common and I just thought they looked a tiny bit more "grown up" on me than the traditional full metal, even if they did cost me more.

My ortho wouldn't give me ceramic lowers, since he says they chip and break off way too easily. But I don't think the ceramic uppers / metal lowers will "clash" on you at all. Go with what you feel comfortable with!

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

Well it's a good thing I have some HUGE teeth! I guess my teeth are just mutations or something so each of them are about the same size as horse teeth. *NEIGH*
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

pegasus

#7 Post by pegasus »

I am getting clear on the top and metal on the bottom. My ortho says he is going to do it that way since you can't see the bottom as well.

kypsis

#8 Post by kypsis »

I just got my braces on Friday, metal lower, clear upper. Now that I've had time to kind-of adjust to them, I think I would've been ok with both metal. Just got the clear upper so it wouldn't be so visible - but the metal ones on the bottom are so tiny (footprint half the size of the clear ones) that they would've been totally fine on top, too.

MissDiana

#9 Post by MissDiana »

I think I would've been ok with both metal. Just got the clear upper so it wouldn't be so visible - but the metal ones on the bottom are so tiny (footprint half the size of the clear ones) that they would've been totally fine on top, too.
I felt that way too for a while, esp. when I was having a trouble finding a lig color that wouldn't stain (thank you, SILVER!), but now I'm really glad I went with ceramic on the top ... you really can hardly notice them at all, esp. now that I'm used to talking with them.
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

Dimples

#10 Post by Dimples »

I am getting clear uppers and lower metals too.
I think the combo looks great. I've also considered clear uppers and gold lowers.

Meryaten your teeth look great!!!

kirjax

#11 Post by kirjax »

I got PEARL ligs. They're similar to the clear but they're less stainable (so she says)...but I did eat pasta today and there was no staining so yay for me!! :D

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009

Thathrill

#12 Post by Thathrill »

I have ceramic uppers and bottoms. when i smile i don't really show my bottom teeth. i didn't really ask for any options. I just did what the ortho suggested. i felt he would know whats better for me than i would LOL. People hardly notice my braces even when I show my bottoms.

I don't see a problem with metal bottoms and ceramic uppers or even all metal. The way I see it is you are doing something to better yourself. Just like someone would work out to get a better body.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

bracieb

#13 Post by bracieb »

Which are more comfortable on the bottom, ceramic or metal?

I haven't got my bottoms yet, and I won't for awhile, so I wonder. I am scheduled to get ceramics, but I keep reading that they are actually bigger. Is bigger less painful, or more?

Interesting, Meryaten, that metals chip your teeth less.

markuhde

#14 Post by markuhde »

I say get all metal. It's clear you have braces then - not a "what is wrong with his mouth" response. Plus you get fun colors with metal ones! (yes, some orthos will do it with the clear ones too but still)

OrangeGeek

#15 Post by OrangeGeek »

I just went & had spacers put in today and I'll go in next week for metal on the top and bottom.

I teach HS English and I thought it'd be fun to have the metal the same as my students. Plus, to me, the clear always make it look like plaque or goop. Those pics posted look good, but I'm just going to go all out with the metal.