osteoporosis and micropins

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starzin

osteoporosis and micropins

#1 Post by starzin »

I don't know if there are any older brace buddies out there!
I hope so!
My ortho wants me to get micropins, but I am fearful of it since I have osteoporosis.
Should I be concerned?
Thanks!!!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi and welcome!

There's a few of us with micro implants and also several of us in the more "mature" age group :D The oldest member is in his 70s and there are several of us in our 40s and 50s.

I've had a quick search for anything pertaining to the use of screw implants in a person with osteoporosis, but without success. Perhaps one of our resident dentists or orthodontists will be able to comment.

But micro-implants are not like "proper" dental (teeth) implants. They are only in place for a relatively short time and they do not generally rely on osseointegration (fusing into the bone). The screws used are pretty small, usually about 10mm long and 2mm in diameter. The failure rate of implants is fairly high anyway - about 20%. If one fails it is removed and re-sited elsewhere.

This is purely my opinion and I might well be wrong so please don't take it as gospel, but I would imagine that if your bone is dense enough for orthodontics then it would be strong enough to take a screw implant.