Another UK Newbie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LouiseUK

Another UK Newbie

#1 Post by LouiseUK »

I've just been for my consultation with a private orthodontist, who's quoted me £2000 using Damon Braces on both arches.

I did want tooth coloured appliances, or invisalign but my orthodontist feels Damons would work the best for me.

I previously had braces when I was 15 (I'm now 25) and I'm hoping it won't be as painful this time round :cry:

I've been browsing the forums over the past few days, and read quite a few good comments on Damons, is there anything I should look out for with them, that could cause me problems?

I remember last time I had braces, they practically shredded my gums as they had very rough edges to them, will this be the case with Damons?

Thanks for reading.

LouiseUK

#2 Post by LouiseUK »

Thanks - I'm assuming I'll be able to get wax from my orthodontist?

I'm going for my impressions and x rays in a few weeks, thats actually the bit i'm most dreading :lol:

LouiseUK

#3 Post by LouiseUK »

Yeah I've never seen it in any chemists over here, making a trip to the US in September so I'll stock up while I'm over there :lol:

LouiseUK

#4 Post by LouiseUK »

I'm going to - LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon.

Never been to america so really can't wait!

dubnobass

#5 Post by dubnobass »

When I first got braces, I was advised to not use wax if at all possible because your mouth never gets an opportunity to 'toughen up'. I think I used it for the few couple of days when it was really sore, but not since (except to cap off the edges of sharp archwires which were too thick to snip off with wire cutters). The inside of my mouth is now as tough as old boots and I haven't had a mouth ulcer from the brackets since those first few weeks.

As for where to get the wax, the orthodontist should be able to provide it for you, but if you get stuck in the wilderness, Boots do sell some pliable wax earplugs like those described by Meryaten which are made of pretty much the same stuff, just with some cotton wool mixed in to give them shape. It's not ideal because the cotton wool can get a bit stuck round brackets, but if it's that of having bits of your cheek sliced open by a sharp archwire, I'd go with the wax earplugs! Just a little bit of it pinched off and rolled to shape though, obviously.. not the whole earplug. Unless you're going for a "Godfather" look.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I've used a bit of sugar-free gum at a pinch! I'm in the UK too and my ortho gives me all the wax I need, but if yours is meaner, you can buy it online from www.orthoshop.co.uk

Dr Jon Harrow

#7 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

Hi Louise :)
Good to have another UK person on board, we seem to be a rare breed around here, well in comparrison to all our US buddies,anyway..I don't think that braces have started to catch on as well here as in the US, well we're always a little ignorant when it comes to our our responsibility for our health...which gives reason to the stupid comments you may no doubt receive in time from friends :? :cry: , and possibly family :cry: , but don't let them deter you, its your journey and only you can make it :lol: , so keep in touch with all your friends on this forum.
By the way the x-rays and study moulds are not that bad, and its for such a short time. Its a pity about the no choice of brackets, but that is by the by , you are getting something your ortho is experienced in using, and thus happy to recomend, through their continued use.Just for the record, I have ceramics upper and lower....but have had probs with them, chipping teeth etc, so now another ortho has given the second opinion to have them changed..next week..thus a time of removal and glue scaping to contend with...should have stuck with metals..their first choice then.(?@><***) but me in my vanity :oops: , wanted to do as I pleased.hohum.
Anyway loads of others have had ceramics with no problems, others have, just as some have had issues with metal, but others don't, its personal preference...Ill say that again..its personal preference :lol: .
Hope to hear more about the journey..good luck with the XR&SMs!
Bye for now
Jon XXX

dramaqueendaisy

#8 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hello Louise, great to have another UK (soon to be )bracee on the forum! Can't comment on the Damon braces because I have ceramics top and bottom (and having them on the bottom seems to be quite a rareity on this site...!) but I'm sure you'll find loads of onfo on here to help you. :D

I got a box of wax from my ortho when I got braced (and that was ALL I got free!) but the orthoshop website is good for that as I haven't seen it anywhere in the UK...gap in the market for someone there methinks! :wink:

Good luck with the xrays and impressions...I was really worried about mine but they were really fine, although you do feel a bit of a prat standing there biting down on this plate thing while everyone leaves the room!

5 teeth out during Feb 07

Ceramics top and bottom Friday 9 March 2007

Braces removed (!!) and permanent retainers fitted Monday 24 May 2010

Essix retainers Wednesday 26 May 2010

loulou123

#9 Post by loulou123 »

Hi Louise

Welcome to another UK member, there seems to be more and more of us apearing at the moment.

:D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Drama Queen

#10 Post by Drama Queen »

Hi,

Nice to see another UK person in their 20s taking the plunge with braces. I am 26 and currently 9 and a half months into my 18 month sentence with ceramic braces top and bottom.

Hope the xrays and stuff go ok

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

dramaqueendaisy

#11 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hey Drama Queen (cool choice of name btw! 8) )

You are the only other person I've come across so far with ceramics top AND bottom...hurray! :-88 How are you finding them?

Ready2go43

#12 Post by Ready2go43 »

Hi Louise,nice to hear from another UK resident,we appear to catching up with the rest of the world slowly.I was advised that Damons would suit my treatment better and so far I have had no problems,apart from a couple of brackets popping off,but they are comfortable(I have not had braces before so I cant compare brackets) but only needed wax on one bracket for 1st week,otherwise no problems so far.Lisa65 linked www.orthoshop.co.uk,another site I found is www.dentalshop.co.uk(sorry dont know how to add links)I have used them both and would recommend both of them,they are really helpful and quick delivery,if you dont see something you need,give them a ring as they dont show everything on website.Good luck with everything,hope you soon get sorted out,by the way your quote was a lot less than I paid :-+ oh well thats life,good luck :thumbsup:
Braced 19/04/07
Damon 3s
Upper & Lower

Drama Queen

#13 Post by Drama Queen »

Hey Drama Queen Daisy (Great minds think alike!) :)

It is incresingly unusual to find someone with ceramics top and bottom, I was never offered anything different so I assumed if people choose cermaics that had them on both arches!

I am finding the cermaics top and bottom fine, apart from the usual pain and self confidence issues, there has been no major problems.

How do you find them?

Lau xx

dramaqueendaisy

#14 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

I love mine! Well, they're a pain in the bum at times of course but I'm really chuffed with the way they look :-#) . I've read all sorts of things about chipped canines and slower treatment times with ceramics but that remains to be seen. I do alot of acting :jokerlaugh: so my ortho suggested the ceramics and you can't tell they're there on stage...although speaking certain sounds is tricky at times but I'm getting on top of that. I have white wires too...how about you?

Drama Queen

#15 Post by Drama Queen »

I have read a lot about slower treatment times etc but my ortho never mentioned this to me when he showed me the options, full metal, full ceramics or the lingual braces. He just said that it was up to me to choose. I would have like to go for the lingual ones but it they were way out of my price range plus I was worried that I would have a lot of trouble talking them them.

I haven't had any chipped canines. The only little problem I had was that one of the brakets popped off 6 weeks after they were put on but 9 months down the line everything has been fine.

I choose the ceramics as I wanted them to be discreet as possible, some people have noticed them but others, who have talked to me for months, are shocked when I talk about my braces as they didn't even notice.

I had white wires for the first 2 months, which was great as it all really blended it, but as the treatment has progressed I have metal wires. Am currently wearing elastics as well to correct my bite. I have clear ligs and am so careful about what I eat for fear of staining them - I know people say that I could avoid the staining by going for coloured ligs but I want to keep everything as discreet as possible. Have you got clear ligs?

I still have trouble with a few words and feel like I lisp but sometimes I feel like it is all in my head!

How long are you in braces for?

Lau xx