How many elastics can snap in one day!?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

swede

How many elastics can snap in one day!?

#1 Post by swede »

I am actually getting used to having the elastics, but I can't stand the breaking 5-6 times a day. I have 1/4" heavy as rectangles on each side and 3/16" medium as a rectangle around my four canines. The front keeps snapping (breaking). It startles me EVERY time. Sometimes, I can feel it coming, other times not. It gets hard when you have to stop what you are doing every 30 minutes to take the broken one out and put a new one in.

I wonder if it is stress related :shock: , because I usually snap 4-5 when I am at work, and after I pick up the kids and I come home, they seem to last a lot longer.

They have snapped during driving, being at the movies (I actually finished the movie without replacing; bad bad me :twisted: ), watching my daughter play soccer, at the grocery store, you name it.

I thought about calling the ortho, but I figured as long as I replace them right a way, I'll be OK. We'll see. They were going to have the same size all over, but decided that it would be too hard on me to have the heavier in the front. Maybe it would be better to have the heavier one since it wouldn't snap on me :D .

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I had a bad bag of elastics once and they broke all the time. Ask your ortho for another bag and give them a try.. No explenation necessary...

good luck!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

nice teeth

#3 Post by nice teeth »

Just wondering are elastics always part of the treatment?

I haven't been told either way if I'm getting them but should I assume that I will be?

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I've never had and elastic break. Maybe its because I have only had them for about 2 months or maybe I have light elastics (5/16" Medium)? I can certainly see how it would be annoying, though.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces