Is this normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MetalDiva

Is this normal?

#1 Post by MetalDiva »

I had my bottom braces put on friday, and my ortho said I had room for them. I didn't, and it wasn't till after the braces were on that they mentioned using build up to keep me from bitting down on them. So now I have cement on my molars, which has already cracked and fallen off half of one tooth, ande I still bite on my front braces. When I asked how long it would be like that he said "You'll get used to it in 2 days" well 2 days later I called him and told him I can't deal with this, I can't eat at all. All I can do is drink, I can't function or do my job, and he says "wait 2 days, I'm out of town till tuesday, and if it still hurts then I'll have them put on more build up," Am I over reacting to think he put the bottum braces on to soon? I don't want more build up, I want the entire thing off, I can't shut my mouth at all, and I'm starving. I'm really upset about all of this, is there anything I can do? Does any one have any idea how long my mouth will be like this if I don't have him take off the bottom braces? I can't even eat bananas I'm loosing my mind.

Irinadax

#2 Post by Irinadax »

I had a similar situation where they added bonding (build up) to my top molars to keep me from biting down on my front braces. It was indeed very difficult to get used to, but I did eventually get used to it. Initially I had ALOT of trouble eating b/c I could barely chew my food.

Trust me, it takes more than 2 days to get used to it. You WILL adapt, but it takes longer than 2 days. I think it took me weeks before I could chew comfortably with my new partial bite. At one point only my back molars (top two, top bottom) touched, that was ALL I had to chew with. I got used to it. Hunger can be a great motivator!!! :wink:

simplywired

#3 Post by simplywired »

Hi there - sorry you're have having trouble. I went through the same thing when I first got brace - 9 months ago. My molars did not touch at all! I couldn't believe it. Then over time a small spot would sort of touch. I didn't have anything put on them to raise them because I knew that would make me nuts. Also my top teeth did hit some of the bottom brackets - although for some reason those brackets managed to hang on. I have a severe overbite (about 8 or 9 mm). And will be having surgery next fall.

The good news is now I finally can chew on a couple pairs of molars - not great but enough to eat hamberger and fish/ chicken. I just learned to go slow. You might consider foregoing the build-up on the molars and just eat soft foods for a while. Good luck. Trust me it is worth it.

alliphd

#4 Post by alliphd »

I'll be getting cement on my molars also to prevent me from biting down on my lowers. My ortho warned me it would be weird for a while!

(Click WWW link for the details!)

MetalDiva

#5 Post by MetalDiva »

I wish he'd told me about all this first though, he said there was enough room, his only concern was wether I was emotionally ready for the bottoms, I've had the top done for 3 months now. Also sunday morning I woke up and spit up cement, I'm missing about a quarter of the build up on one side, and when I told him this he seemed unconcerned. I don't have enough contact with the bonded molars to chew, and if he sands it down any more my teeth, which still hit the bottom braces, are going to go down half the bracket. I'd be ok with this if he'd just said "there isn't enough room. your going to need cement build ups, and you arn't going to be able to eat anything for x amount of weeks," But until they had everything in they made no mention of any of this.