first regular teeth cleaning with braces -- what to expect

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

consideringbracesDC

first regular teeth cleaning with braces -- what to expect

#1 Post by consideringbracesDC »

I am scheduled to have my first "teeth cleaning" since getting braces on.
any ideas what to expect? does it take longer with braces?

mamabracito

#2 Post by mamabracito »

I will admit I was a little scared going to my first cleaning but to be honest it was normal. It felt like I didn't even have braces. I'd love to see how they actually do it but to the feel there was no difference.

Rebecca

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

What does it feel like? Does it hurt? In the UK, government subsidised dentists do not routinely offer cleanings, and I've never had a proper cleaning done.

I've just started with a new dentist and am getting my first ever cleaning next week. Hopefully no more DIY scaling for me!

MetalMouse

#4 Post by MetalMouse »

I just had my first cleaning with braces a few weeks ago. It actually went smoother than the last cleaning, from what I remember. They did a sort of power wash with just water, which was new to me, and ended with flossing.

It was kind of awkward when the assistant was flossing me, because it took her a while and it was quiet (unlike the other parts of the cleaning), so I just sat there, watching her floss me :P

consideringbracesDC

#5 Post by consideringbracesDC »

thanks everyone for the info. i am relieved. sounds fairly straight forward. :)

Dimples

#6 Post by Dimples »

jt2lang wrote:
What does it feel like? Does it hurt? In the UK, government subsidised dentists do not routinely offer cleanings, and I've never had a proper cleaning done.

I've just started with a new dentist and am getting my first ever cleaning next week. Hopefully no more DIY scaling for me!
It feels like someone scraping your teeth.

Well... I've had some bad hygienists who lean too hard on my jaw - that's painful. I've had some bad hygienists who gouged my gums with their instruments - that's painful.

But mostly they just scrape the plaque off your teeth which feels like heavy brushing. They also polish your teeth and floss for you. No worries!

Just don't be afraid to speak up if they're leaning too hard on you, etc. :)

This is what happened to me a few times today. The hygienist was very nice though. My gums feel sensitive. I hope they are better tommorrow.

lelerz

#7 Post by lelerz »

I have my first cleaning w/ braces on Friday... hmm, I was just planning on going in there w/ everything as-is. They didn't mention anything to me about possibly removing the archwire or anything, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

:lol:

ariel86

#8 Post by ariel86 »

just a quick question : ive been in braces for almost 6 weeks now, and i august or september i want a cleaning, but i want a new dentist! i dont know if it works the same here in canada, but is it possible to start with a new dentist when you're already in braces? like i dont hate that dentist im just sick of that dental clinic and dont want to go back!

consideringbracesDC

update post cleaning

#9 Post by consideringbracesDC »

well - the cleaning was the easy part! Turns out two old cavities had to be removed and i need crowns instead! Expensive and painful.
thankfully, the two teeth are not braced (last two teeth on the bottom, rear, each side if that makes sense).

I guess I am not going on vacation this year!!!
:shock:

SnowSara

#10 Post by SnowSara »

Ah good, I've been curious as my 6mo checkup and cleaning is just around the corner. When I made the appointment I mentioned to the receptionist that I had gotten braces since my last cleaning, and she just chuckled and said she'd make a note of it. It sounded like I didn't even need to tell her, but come on, how is this going to work? I'm excited to find out for myself!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

manna22

#11 Post by manna22 »

I just had my first cleaning this morning since being braced...and They cleaned my teeth with baking soda and water..it was like a high pressure waterpik! how cool was that???? She made me feel a little bit better about flossing as well. gave me some of that new crest glide floss to try that might be easier than using a threader...

we will see