center line correction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bobby9

center line correction

#1 Post by bobby9 »

So far, I've seen cases where the ortho treatment moves the teeth perpendicular to the gum line, meaning the teeth move in or out of the mouth.
I was wondering if the teeth can be moved along the gum line. My center line is off a lot, like 10 degrees off the vertical. I just started the treatment 3 weeks ago, so it's still early days.
Does anyone need to correct their center line as part of the treatment? What add-ons have been put on your braces to correct your center line?

Thanks,

Bob[/img]

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Bobby, there are various means to correct a midline discrepancy, whether it be one that exists at the start of treatment or one that appears later during treatment.

Sometimes the off-centre teeth are gang-tied together with wire ties or powerchains and pulled round as a group using powerchains or elastics. See bracedagain's blog in the Braces Stories forum for pics of that.

Sometimes midline elastics are used that go diagonally across the front of the mouth from top to bottom, to pull the arches into line using each other as anchors.

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

Bobby, I have a slight midline issue with my bottom teeth. people may not notice but I definitely notice it and i don't like it either. i know my ortho will work to fix it but I am just starting out so I don't know the details just yet. I know that there are tons of ways to fix this problem but it all depends on what you are presenting. From what you are saying, it seems like you are taken care of tho. hang in there
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

bobby9

#4 Post by bobby9 »

Thanks for all the replies.

My mid-lines are definitely off. I'm just curious what will be used to straighten it. I'm interested in the mechanics of it.
Three more weeks to the next appointment, when I'll check with the dentist on this.

Bob

bobby9

#5 Post by bobby9 »

KK,

Thanks for the responses.
The top front incisors are clearly off the vertical, thus highlighting the off-center issue.
When I see a pic of myself smiling, it was quite a shock lol !
It wasn't like this 3 years ago. I guess teeth move all the time.

Bob

nice teeth

#6 Post by nice teeth »

My center line is way off. My Orthro is trying to bring down my canine and in that process my teeth are pulling in the opposite direction. I'm very concerned about this too, but he said that he can fix it and that it does happen a lot.

raninhas

#7 Post by raninhas »

My upper midline has gone off, too, since I've started treatment. I haven't adressed this issue to my orto, though. But I'm worried since it's going to my right side of the mouth, where I miss a tooth in the back. I fear it's going to stay like this, and it's getting worse, until that gap is closed.

bobby9

#8 Post by bobby9 »

Meryaten,

Thanks for the advice.
I hope the mid-line alignment issue is as important to the ortho as other issues.
The highlight of the smile is more on the misalignment than overcrowding/protrusion. If misalignment is still there, the job is just 50% done.
I think most posters who said they have this issue even after treatment is nowhere as bad as mine.

Bob

bobby9

#9 Post by bobby9 »

Meryaten,

I'd be more than satisfied if the front incisors are like ||
At the moment it's \\ which throws the midline way off.
It's ok if the tops dont exactly line up with the bottoms, lol!

Bob