Last Pre-Braces Dinner?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mindykatz

Last Pre-Braces Dinner?

#1 Post by mindykatz »

Hi All! My braces go on tomorrow morning - I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should eat for my last pre-braces meal? I don't have the "bad foods" list yet so I don't know what I need to eat tonight because I won't be able to have it until 2009!!!

Oh also - KK told me I should visit the potty before I sit down to get my braces on, but should I take it as far as to not drink anything tomorrow morning? I don't have a very large bladder so I'm considering not drinking anything past 9 or 10pm tonight. However, I'm not sure if that would make my mouth too dry and I'd be uncomfortable during my "installation". Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch! Did I mention I LOVE this site and forum? Cause I do! :jump:

sashafeelgood

#2 Post by sashafeelgood »

Funny you should write this. I just had my last pre-braces lunch before I get braced this afternoon. I wanted to go for something really extravagant but ended up just getting a gyro and fries. I did have some baklava...figuring that I probably can't eat that until the braces come off, or at least not until I get the hang of cleaning them thoroughly.

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

Don't stress too much about the potty stuff. First of all, it doesn't take that long to brace an arch - mine took about 20 minutes per arch. And you can always ask for a potty break. It isn't a huge deal to stop in the middle - give them a couple minutes to finish what they need to in order to let you up out of the chair.

As to the food - just pick your fave meal! YOur teeth will be a little tender for a few days, but you will find you way back to normal eating quickly. Ok, maybe you will have to modify things a wee bit, but believe me - braces suck as a diet tool :oops:

mindykatz

#4 Post by mindykatz »

Chocolate cake! oh what a great idea! Maybe I'll sugar-binge tonight! I'll have to stop on my way home from work to get Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper, lol! :-9

Carolinahigh12

#5 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

I think my pre-braces meal would be what I would have to get use to eating with braces, but my pre-braces morning meal would be a couple of apples and pears. I will miss for two years.

As far as potting before brackets are placed, still drink your fluids at night and go before you leave home and before you sit in the chair. I am pretty sure if you are a cooperative patient, they wouldnt mind giving you a quick potty break while doing the installation. Just think of all the kids that they deal with on a monthly basis. :)
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

dojo

#6 Post by dojo »

I didn't think about any pre-brace meal .. I stopped eating a lot of junk when I started my pre-braces treatment (cavity filling, extractions etc.) I don't eat chocolate anymore (and God knows I would eat even 2 on a day) I stick away from anything that would pose a threat to my teeth health. And it's quite OK ..

As for the potty thing. I did this and then after 2 hours of being on the chair i just needed it again. My doc just placed the damon brackets (no arches yet) So I told them I need to go potty :D .. they let me .. i also took the time to study my new "jewels" in the mouth and then came back and they resumed treatment. Not such a huge problem in the end. it's a good idea to go do the deed before, but don't go that far as to not hidrate that day. Water is important, so don't stay away from it ;)

Best of luck and please keep us posted ;)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

AngelOfLife

#7 Post by AngelOfLife »

I ordered a takeaway personally. My appointment was their last of the day before closing up. I ordered an early takeaway, consisting of a curry and naan bread. Although I still eat curry with braces, it was a nice pre-braces dinner to get me geared up for all those metal things. :D

kirjax

#8 Post by kirjax »

My last meal was chick-fil-a (it's got the best chicken ever)! Anyways, I have been almost able to eat my normal foods minus rolls. It says no rolls and bagels on my no no list but I still feel uncomfortable biting into a sandwhich like that. Not because it hurts bc I am petrified of popping a bracket!! lol

And I had to use the bathroom during my braces...that's bc they were taking longer then expected and I drank OJ before I left. So I excused myself after the molar bands were placed. I have a tiny bladder!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

JumpTheDitch

#9 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I like the new lingo, Meryaten, "glommed" sums up the sensation nicely :D

As for the final pre-braces meal, I didn't do anything special but if I had my time over, it'd be corn-on-the-cob and apples (without having to cut them up).

Weird though it sounds, I really miss biting into an apple :?

Not long now for you though, Meryaten, will you be celebrating with a big corn-on-the-cob dinner? :D

Laurie

#10 Post by Laurie »

I didn't do anything too special.

moonflower22

#11 Post by moonflower22 »

I don't even remember eating! I was too excited to even try. :) but i licked my teeth all the way, since it'd be a long time till my tongue can feel them.

For a last pre-braces dinner, i suggest you hit up on lots of hard candies, sodas, and steak.

GinaLime

#12 Post by GinaLime »

For my last pre-extraction pre-braces meal, I had a HUGE chicken taco salad from Del Taco - hard, crunchy taco-shell bowl filled with meat, beans, guacamole and sour cream. Sure, I can still eat everything but the taco shell, but it's not the same!

Other than that, I don't miss any foods, except maybe popcorn and nuts.
Bimaxillary protrusion, 4 MM of overjet with a small overbite

JadeBlue

#13 Post by JadeBlue »

Funny! I was just thinking this morning about how I want a caramel apple before my braces go on. And I plan to chew a lot of gum!

Whatever you decide ... enjoy! And good luck with the braces.

-Jade (getting braces later in summer)

Chiwawamom

#14 Post by Chiwawamom »

MEXICAN FIESTA with CHIPS AND SALSA!!!!!!! That was my last dinner...my FAVORITE FOOD!!!!! However, these braces have NOT stopped me I EAT EVERYTHING under the sun.......I find a way.

jalapeno

#15 Post by jalapeno »

I can't think of anything I used to eat that I can't now with braces. All my meals are the same as before and I still eat choccy bars.

After adjustments is a different story though.