my story....a few questions....pain, room, hitting, etc

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fmjess

my story....a few questions....pain, room, hitting, etc

#1 Post by fmjess »

First off, before I got my braces I was excited. Everyone said it was worth it and for the amount I'm paying ($7500 for ceramics) I kinda thought this would be good. I'm a 27 year old female. The dentist office and my ortho assured me over and over (and over) that this wouldn't hurt and I would not suffer.

They were wrong. :x

The spacers were painful, I could hardly eat and they gave me a constant headache so that I couldn't sleep. OTC pain meds did NOT help.

I had 4 teeth extracted which was awful itself. It hurt like HELL and the people made me feel like it was no big deal and I was being sensitive. By the end I was shaking, crying, covered in sweat and in pain and bleeding. When the freezing wore off, I was in agony and the pain hasn't stopped.

Two days later I go to get my braces put on. The spacers come out and she goes to put on the metal loops around the back... OWWWW! She gave up when all 4 back teeth couldn't take them. She puts on all the bracets and tries to put in the wire..... nope! Hurt too much. She's able to put wire over my front teeth and over to one side only.

So now I have bracets, 4 holes in my jaw and a lot of pain. I run out of pain medication in 2 days (codine) and I don't know what I'm going to do after that. I can't function if I don't take them because the pain returns and shoots up into my brain.

I can't eat anything that is not totally soft. I've lost over 5 pounds in 2 weeks and my body is in starvation mode.

My questions:
My two front teeth are being pulled one way and are now very tight together. I can't floss. Will they be pulled apart again when the wire goes to the other side?

On one side I have 2 teeth that don't meet properly, and it hurts to close my mouth so it has to stay open all the time. Will this be fixed? Is there something I can use so they don't meet so hard?

I've accepted this pain is here to stay for a while. Is there a way to explain to these people working on my teeth that I'm NOT a wuss, but this hurts and doesn't stop? Right now they don't seem to care and look at me like I'm acting like a baby.

Thank you for reading my long post, I'm sure that in a few months I will have a much better outlook on things, but right now I am pretty upset and down. Any advice I will be greatful for :lol:

newmetal

Re: my story....a few questions....pain, room, hitting, etc

#2 Post by newmetal »

fmjess wrote: My questions:
My two front teeth are being pulled one way and are now very tight together. I can't floss. Will they be pulled apart again when the wire goes to the other side?

On one side I have 2 teeth that don't meet properly, and it hurts to close my mouth so it has to stay open all the time. Will this be fixed? Is there something I can use so they don't meet so hard?

I've accepted this pain is here to stay for a while. Is there a way to explain to these people working on my teeth that I'm NOT a wuss, but this hurts and doesn't stop? Right now they don't seem to care and look at me like I'm acting like a baby.

Thank you for reading my long post, I'm sure that in a few months I will have a much better outlook on things, but right now I am pretty upset and down. Any advice I will be greatful for :lol:
Hey FMjess,

From my experience the spacers hurt like hell too, it was a pain which would'nt go away with paracetomol. Yea your two teeth that are too tight to floss probably will be pulled apart slightly when the other wire is placed in...with braces teeth move to one position, then back, then back, then back again, until they are in their required position.

If its really paining you, you should go back to your ortho and explain your worries and explain that you have conferred with people who have braces and you do not feel the pain you are feeling is "the norm". Ask if he or she can adjust the brace to apply less pressure or something just while you are getting used to being braced. Braces is about adjusting and can affect others in different ways....the pain most likely will go away once your mouth adjusts and "toughens up".

Regarding the two teeth that dont meet and are causing discomfort, id say that this will be corrected as part of your brace treatment/or again will go away once your mouth adjusts. After every adjustment my mouth aches and teeth dont meet, but i find that i get use to it pretty quickly and you don't feel it.

I hope the pain subsides and this has helped a bit.

Newmetal

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax »

yes def. make sure it's not those dreaded dry sockets bc they are painful and not something to be left alone.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

dojo

#4 Post by dojo »

First welcome into the community and into the braced people's group ;)

I cannot imagine why the would torture you like this with the extractions. I had 3 extractions in 7 days time. The first one was hell. 40 minutes of trying to break that molar. But I didn't feel anything since I had injections first. With proper anesthesia you shouldn't feel this trauma at all ... well . this has passed anyway.

The spacers are painful that;s what I learnt from here. I didn't wear such things, just read some posts in the forums.

The braces themselves do "offer" some hard first days. But the pain shouldn't be that big .. I think the best thing is to discuss all the problems with your doctor. I do think that the pain will decrease in the following days and you'll feel better. Try to rest too so that you don't add up exhaustion to all the problems you already have. I wasn't able to consume hard stuff for days, only very soft foods. Try to drink some protein shakes too, even take some vitamins if needed. I did this and it helped a lot.

Best of luck and keep us posted. IT WILL GET BETTER! hang on ;)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces