micropins vs. head gear???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starzin

micropins vs. head gear???

#1 Post by starzin »

Hi braced buddies--
I have written on this topic before.
However, I am really anxious and very nervous about getting microscrews.
The whole procedure seems soooo painful!!!! :roll: :shock:
I don't think I could have it done with local anesthesia.
I'm too nervous.
Can't the same result be accomplished with head gear????
Thanks!!!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Starzin, did you ever have a tooth extracted? Having the micro screws put in is much much less unpleasant than having a tooth out. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Having said that, there was another member on here (Chris) who had problems getting micro screws put in with just local anaesthetic, and he opted to have IV sedation. If you are really anxious, you could ask your ortho about being sedated for the procedure, or even ask your GP to prescribe you some valium which you could take beforehand to help you relax.

You might be able to have headgear instead, but screws are much less obtrusive and once they are in, you can forget about them.

I'm a terrible worrier and before my implants I was scared to death, but afterwards I really wondered what I'd been so scared about.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

However, I am really anxious and very nervous about getting microscrews.
The whole procedure seems soooo painful!!!!
I don't think I could have it done with local anesthesia.
Think positive!

When I was a kid and having fillings without local anetshesia, I was thinking "after 30 minutes this thing is over". And it was.
But at that age you got a sticker etc. after treatment :)

The most painful thing I know is drilling a cavity without Novacaine.
My local anestheis wore off when I had my wisdom teeth surgery. An oral surgeon student performed the operation quite slowly. Well, it hurt but nothing compared to the rotten tooth&diamond drill!

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

I would go with the screws over head gear any day. I have such admiraton for those here on archwired who have to try and get a good nights sleep while wearing their head gear.

ABraces2007

#5 Post by ABraces2007 »

I`m getting this micro-screw also....
don`t worry , it`s nothing, the procedure is too simple, like 3 min.
I don`t even consider any worries about the procedure the only thing that worries me is to have to pay 300€ (400 USD) for this micro-screw..

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

It's quite simple actually, numb the area. It will feel just like you are going to be getting a filling. Once you are temporarily numb, you open your mouth and they retract your lip. Then you will feel some pressure as they insert the screw. Quick and simple. The worst part will be the slight numb feeling for a few hours post op.

Good Luck,
Rory