Braced for 3 months, and NOW I'm single

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dmartell1856

Braced for 3 months, and NOW I'm single

#1 Post by dmartell1856 »

Ok, so I dated a girl for almost 3 years and she had an associate's degree in dental hygeine. She encouraged me to get braces so in March, I finally did. Well, a few weeks ago, we mutually agreed to call it quits (mainly because we both moved to new cities 200 miles apart in January...not because I got braces...she was supportive of that the whole way). Anyways, now that we're broken up, I'm feeling VERY self conscious when talking to girls. That is NOT me. I mean, I've always had a high level of self confidence and I think I am very attractive...except that now I have braces. I'm thinking about telling my orthodontist that I want to abort my treatment. The one tooth that I had that was really out of alignment is almost perfect now. If I do abort, I will probably wait until at least September, but I really think it's going to be hard for me to meet a girl with a mouth full of metal. People say that noone notices or cares.....but that's just not true. Noone wants to kiss a can opener. Anyone got any advice? Maybe a success story? Thanks.

Lil Sunshine

#2 Post by Lil Sunshine »

I would like you to think back to the teen years. People with braces had boyfriends and girlfriends. My 14 year old daughter just got hers off and she had a boyfriend throughout her whole 3 years of treatment and no it wasnt the same one the whole time.

It sounds like to me that you are just really worried of your appearance and that your too self concious of your braces. Remember that woman like a man that is confident in himself and so show that confidence that you normall have and I am sure that you will find a girl quickly.

manna22

#3 Post by manna22 »

dmartell:

Here's your success story...I'm 26/f and was dating a guy for 7months and thought I had everything...I just got braced about 2 months ago or so, and thought it was the end of my world!! BUT it wasn't!!! I have ceramic braces...I get comments all the time like "good for you, do you know how many people out there NEED them but can't afford them, or just dont want to get them?" "You can hardly tell" I even got a "you look cute with them on" --Now I'm dating a man that is terrific...Kissing was funny...we giggled...it didn't hurt, or anything...I just felt silly..I call myself a "walking 14 year old" ....remember beauty is pain...and now that I see my b/f pictures...all i can do is be excited about what I'm goin to look like after this year is over.

Girls....and guys really dont care like I thought....STAY POSITIVE!

GOOD LUCK!!

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

Give yourself a bit of a break here. YOu just ended a very long relationship. Of course you are going to be a bit off your game. You are out of practice in the whole dating area - if it wern't braces you would probably feel self consious about your nose or some such thing. Just jump back in (if you feel ready) and roll with the punches. Good luck.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

dmartell - It seems like these feelings are being triggered by the break-up more than the fact that you have braces. The braces just happen to be the scapegoat to your worries. I would date a guy (I'm a girl) with a clean mouth full of braces rather than a guy who was not doing anything to help himself! It's so much more attractive when someone is actually taking care of themself, in this case, you and your braces! Wear them with confidence like everyone else has said. You exude confidence, not your braces.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix