a visit to a periodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Irinadax

a visit to a periodontist

#1 Post by Irinadax »

Okay friends, some of you might remember my dilema regarding whether or not to get a bone graft on a gap site b/c my ortho thought that getting the graft would facilitate closing the gap (which has been quite stubborn). I visited with the oral surgeon who after examination wasn't entirely certain about whether I needed a graft or not. I'm not sure why my ortho set up the visit with the oral surgeon anyway, since the surgeon isn't a perio. Now the office called me and wants me to see a perio.

Okay - so i'm just a tad confused here. before treatment I wasn't told that periodontic treatment would be necessary. I wasn't told about bone loss, or that I may have bone loss, or that braces may cause/worsen bone loss. AFter two extractions and brace day, I thought I was home free. Now here I am more than half-way through treatment, and a perio comes into the picture. Is this common in adult patients? If bone loss is an issue, shouldn't this be discussed prior treatment? why a perio NOW? I have so many questions and such an inaccessible and uncooperate ortho, I'm even thinking of changing orthos!

I'm 35 btw, don't know if that makes a difference. My dentist at my recent check-up and cleaning said that my bone loss wasn't abnormal and that frankly, he wasn't sure what the ortho was 'seeing'. So, off to the perio I go. reluctantly.

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

Maybe the ortho wants you to see the perio because they specialize in bone loss issues. Even though you don't have bone loss associated with periodontal disease, the extraction site is lacking bone. So the perio might be the best person to decide whether you need a bone graft at the extraction site.