question about Damons?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

michael33

question about Damons?

#1 Post by michael33 »

I have been in Damons for 30 months now. They are the 1/2 ceramic & 1/2 metal kind. My ortho will be changing them to all metals to speed up the process. Anyone ever had this done & did it work for you?

mindykatz

#2 Post by mindykatz »

I haven't had mine changed but I have the full metal Damons on upper and lowers. I actually didn't even know that there is a difference between the metals and the 1/2 ceramic ones besides how they looked!

Sorry I couldn't really answer your question, but the full metal ones don't look or feel bad - they probably won't look too much different in your mouth than the 1/2 ceramic ones do.

Machiavellian

#3 Post by Machiavellian »

While I never changed my brackets during treatment I was told that the metal brackets would speed up my treatment which is part of the reason I went with all metal.

Edit: I don't have Damon brackets, mine are the Speed System brackets which are self litigating just like the Damons.

michael33

#4 Post by michael33 »

Meryaten wrote:Do you know what he will be placing? I am wondering if his intent is to use a bracket that is of a different size, so as better to achieve some particular types of movement that can sometimes be harder to achieve with very small brackets.
He will be replacing the 6 top front ones to all metal. I had a gap that just couldn't close. He told me even though I had to step down on wire size, that this would speed things up.

michael33

#5 Post by michael33 »

I just got the metals put on. Wow, I have movement already! I'm pretty psyched I changed them.

mindykatz

#6 Post by mindykatz »

Maybe the metal brackets can take more force and pressure from the wire than cermaics can, so maybe the ortho can make the wires tighter to move the teeth faster? I heard that ceramic brackets are more brittle than metal....just a guess..its probably not right lol! :D

michael33

#7 Post by michael33 »

Exactly, my ortho said the 1/2 ceramic ones are a little more brittle & wear out over time(30 months!). The wire moves better inside the all-metal brackets & there is enough room on the all-metals to use 2 power chains(1 below wire & 1 above wire). With the 1/2 & 1/2's only 1 power chain fits. I should have just gone with the all metals in the 1st place.