Need opinions & advise

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kimmie

Need opinions & advise

#1 Post by Kimmie »

Ok I had the first meeting with my new dentist, my old denist has left the village and a polish dentist has taken over and I had two tooth extraction from the bottom of my mouth today, I was given two injections to numb me, one side worked fine and my tooth was extracted with a bit of struggled but nothing I couldn't handle then the worst experience of my life happened the dentist poked my second tooth to be removed and the gum line round it which I still had feeling in so was given a second injection and left to numb it did not work as the dentist starting lifting my tooth from the gum ready for extraction I nearly hit the roof, but I was told that I already had three injections & wasnt to get anymore and she would just have to remove the tooth anyway, to my horror she started removing my tooth ( I know I should have said no, and got up and left but I am so soft and she was very damanding and to be honest she petrifed me) I had to get her to stop half way through but I could feel the tooth was half way out & there was nothing I could do I had to get it out, the poor assistant had to hold my head in place as I was crying and trying to be brave. This experience lasted about 20 minutes as apparently I have really strong teeth and long roots, Needless to say I left in floods of tears and cryed for hours after, the denist told me that it is the nature of the lower jaw that this happened should I trust her or do you think the injection sites were wrong? The worst thing is I am due to have a top root canaled tooth removed and the denist said this might be conplicated, I am so terrifed. Do you think if I asked my orthodonticed they would removed my tooth that I still need out to make room? I dont want to worry any one about getting extractions I had one before and had no pain and the one that was numbed today I have had to trouble and it isn't sore at all.

Carolinahigh12

#2 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with the second extraction. IMO, I would either go to another dentist ( because once that level of trust is gone then it will be hard to gain it back) or ask for a referral to an Oral surgeon, or next time ask if they can accomadate 100% sedation
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

Why in modern times would you have to go through so much pain for a simple extraction! I felt so bad reading your story. You really don't have to go through that for an extraction. Find another dentist who is caring or their patients!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

dubnobass

#4 Post by dubnobass »

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. I had two premolars taken out as part of my treatment and had 14 injections to numb my lower jaw before they started, so limiting it to no more than 3 injections doesn't sound right. Unless my dentist was a bit OTT of course.. :lol:

For the root canal, i would either
a) find another dentist, or
b) explain how unhappy and uncomfortable you were last time, and agree with them that they will not start to carry out the work until you are numb. If they won't agree, walk out and find someone else.

This is 2007 - there is NO reason why you should have to sit there in pain. Anaesthesia and dentistry has moved on!

wwdia

#5 Post by wwdia »

I had laughing gas for a bicupid last week, that was the best thing in the world. I wore my Ipod and let him do his thing. It was amazing!!! Maybe you could try a new dentist and ask for that (they still used the topical, which was a yummy pina colada, then novicaine )
Best of luck to you
Diane

LaaLaa

#6 Post by LaaLaa »

Your experience sounds horrible Kimmie. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. :(

I had 4 first-bicuspids removed by my regular dentist and it wasn't too pleasant, to tell you the truth. I had numbing jell rubbed on in certain places and was left alone for a couple of minutes for the jell to take effect. I then got at least 6-8 injections on the first try, which hurt pretty badly by the way and was again left alone for a couple of minutes. My dentist came back in the room and asked if I was starting to feel numb and I thought I did so I said yes and he started to poke around my mouth asking if I felt certain things. It turns out I have a pretty sensitive mouth because although surface-wise, I was feeling pretty numb, the instant he started working on some teeth, I felt intense pain in those areas. So, they decided to inject me some more and while waiting, the assistant took my blood pressure to make sure everything was okay. I don't really know why but my whole body starting sweating like a crazy person and a bit light headed, which I guess is somewhat normal due to the amount of anesthesia I had injected in my mouth but the sweating was unexpected. :? During the injections were when I felt the most amount of pain and the extraction process was not fun but afterwards I was pretty much pain-free.

So, the number of injections you received seems too small a number, I couldn’t even imagine what I would've done if I only got that many. I'm pretty sure I got about 3+ on a deep cleaning I had done and that was only one side of the mouth! So, I strongly recommend you find a new dentist. You really should've have to suffer something like this, especially from someone who might not be too qualified in doing this procedure. :?

I knew I should've gotten laughing gas!! :lol:

joney

#7 Post by joney »

Wow Kimmie, that sounds horrific. I would find another dentist.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Kimmie

#8 Post by Kimmie »

Thank you every one for your kind words and very helpful advise, I would agree that it was malpractise I also forgot to mention in my post that the dentist pulled the tooth using only forseps, I am sure my old dentist used an instrument to loosen the tooth first before pulling, there is one other dentist in the village I am going to telephone to see if there is anyway I can get on their patient list. Thank you for the useful site for reporting NHS dentist I think that is a must.

But on the bright side now I have started the road to getting my brace fitted as there is no turning back now I have two big gaps on the bottom jaw and just to bare the removal of one more tooth before I get fitted for my bite plate & braces.

Thathrill

#9 Post by Thathrill »

I am glad that you are looking into finding another dentist. That experience is uncalled for. Dentist are supposed to help not harm. I would definitely find another dentist. I wouldn't want to risk something like that happening again. I had my 4 wisdom teeth out and i was put under. Best sleep ever LOL. And I had a baby tooth canine removed with no pain.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

platinum

#10 Post by platinum »

Needless to say I left in floods of tears and cryed for hours after, the denist told me that it is the nature of the lower jaw that this happened should I trust her or do you think the injection sites were wrong?
mabe the drug they used was not strong enough for you. I had my wisdom teeth cut out of my gums, and the oral surgery student was sooo slow that the anesthesia was wearing away... But he was remowing teh last of the four (I got all removed in a one go because they were tiny), so coped with the pain. Not really nice experience but it was my choice. I could have asked another injection.
But in your case the dentist was awful!!! I would look for a new dentist.

Kimmie

#11 Post by Kimmie »

Just to update that I now have a new dentist and got my last extraction ready for my brace done on Friday and the experience was great took a little time but that is only because I have really long roots but it was completly pain free and I would never know I had it out was eating as normal an hour or so after and I had a lot of confidence in my new dentist. Thank you all for you support and I am now really looking forward to getting my brace fitted.

PfectPitch

#12 Post by PfectPitch »

You were brave to go back to the dentist at all! Good luck on your treatment; I think we can all assure you that nothing in your orthodontic journey will match what you've had to endure already.