More Elastics and Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanehdianGal

More Elastics and Pain

#1 Post by CanehdianGal »

Hi everyone,

Just a little update..In April I had 2 elastics attached to my front top and front bottom teeth..yes , dead center..Not a pretty site. 24/7..I was praying when I went back yesterday since they are now overlapping he would tell me that I don't need them. Well I was wrong. I need to keep the front until atleast end of Aug. 4 months! :(

Now he added to clips on 2 teeth on the back right and left sides. Tiny little things are sharp and very hard to place the elastics because I can't see them. So hook them on , twist to the bottom side to widen my pallete.

Now , my question is , will the pain on these bottom teeth where the elastics are located subside in a few days? It is so hard to chew, feels like when I go for an adjustment. I have to keep these in 24/7 even when I eat. He said if they break or shred when chewing just put another one on.

I'm going on vacation in a month so I am praying there will be no more discomfort by then.

CanehdianGal

#2 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou both..One more question..The difference between an extra stength tylenal or Advil or Aleve /Naproxum Sodium

The pain is there only when chewing on both sides....So I can't swallow properly then get indigestion.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Some of our more science-oriented members can give you more educated answers, but I can offer you this until they check in:

Advil & Motrin are Ibuprofen, a Non-steroidal, anti-inflamatory (NSAID)medication that works well for muscular pain as well as anything involving contractions (such as menstral cramps).

Alive is also an nsaid but works a little differently and last for up to 12 hours.

Tylenol is an effective pain reliever that works differently from those above.

My ortho advised against using Alive as it works for 12 hours. If you take one (or 2) and find that it doesn't work, you've got up 12 hours where you cannot take anything else and have to live with the pain until that time is up.

His suggestino was to use Tylenol because there are some studies that show it has little effect on the movement of teeth. Though he also highly recommended that I take what works for me. I used Tylenol mostly and sometimes Advil as it was all I had at the time.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 341AALNuGd Ibuprofen

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/fe ... .Me.r.html Tylenol
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

CanehdianGal

#4 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou for the advice..Neither the advil or tylenal work.....I don't think anything can stop the pain when chewing.

I'm going to call my Ortho this morning. The metal metal clips he attached to the inside of my teeth are soooooo sharp All 4 of them....Everytime I talk my tongue snags it..Very painful. I hope he can smooth it somehow.....But it's so tiny and there has to be room to attach the elastics and stay on.

CanehdianGal

#5 Post by CanehdianGal »

Just an update..

I went back to my ortho today and he told me " let me see your tongue"..Yup it's cut"..He was suprised because he thought he saw a problem on my right side cleets/clip. A minor adjustment as he pushed them in more. Now it's getting the elastics attached because it's
smaller now. It takes a few tries but well worth the non-sharp pokes!

CanehdianGal

#6 Post by CanehdianGal »

"Now a hydrogen peroxide/water rinse should help clear up the injury on the tongue very nicely"

Mery..What does the hydrogen P do? My tongue keeps rubbing the elastics bcause there attched from the inside now. I was going to rinse with salt water.

CanehdianGal

#7 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thanx for the info :)

I think I spoke too soon above..My tongue is scraping the cleats again..

The elastics I have been wearing on my 2 front teeth and bottom he used for the back cleats. He first suggested I use a heavier/thicker one because it will cover more of the cleat and prob won't poke as much...I talked him out of it..I think I will call him back next week and see if he can use those..But he flattened them already and now they prob won't stay on with a heavier elastics. Ugh I feel like such a pest..My next appt is end of Aug for a wire change..I'm going to have to wear wax everyday until then. $$

CanehdianGal

#8 Post by CanehdianGal »

"It's also possible, at a guess, that perhaps those cleats have worked outward a little again, due to the elastics..."

Mery,
That's what I'm thinking.

I guess not too many people here have had cleats put on the inside of 2 of their back molars.

If he does decide to add the stronger/thicker elastics..I wonder if that will rub my tongue as well..I know there will be more pressure and discomfort of my teeth though..

ugh 2 more yrs of this!!!!! I can't wait to just get back to having "just" braces again and nothing extra in my mouth.
Last edited by CanehdianGal on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.