Rubber Band Tips?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Rubber Band Tips?

#1 Post by Paws917 »

I just got a vertical rubber band on my back molars to bring one top molar more into alignment with the bottom molars. The ortho told me to wear it after dinner and all through the night. They said I could even sleep with it in. Have you ever heard that? Also, will wearing the rubber band throughout the day help too? I'm 47 years old and this is a back molar. I've had braces for a year and it still hasn't moved into position. I'm worried it might be in there rock solid!

Also, anyone have any tips for hooking these itty bitty little rubber bands on or does that get easier with practice?

Thanks!

Pepper

#2 Post by Pepper »

It gets easier & you get used to them. :)

Laurie

#3 Post by Laurie »

I havne't been introduced to those lovely little gems yet but I'm thking the longer you wear them the easier it gets to put them on.

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My ortho has always told me to try to wear my elastics 12 hours a day. So I put them on soon after dinner, wear them all night and put them back on in the morning after brushing.

My daughter's instructions are the same. Never 24/7...so far anyway.

Good thing too, because I answer lots of phones all day and the elastics make it hard to speak clear enough.

I still haven't mastered taking them off without them snapping back on my lip. That hurts!
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Qtgirl

#5 Post by Qtgirl »

Im wearing medium(B) elastics now and Ive been told to wear em everyday. So far I have done exactly that and my bite has really improved. Although I was very bad this week and forgot to wear them for one day or two--but I always wear them at night if I forget to put them in. There was only one time where my Ortho told me to wear them at nights and that was because she didnt want my teeth to move as much.

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

I have to wear mine 24/7 for 6 weeks. I got those little tools to place them but I do better just using my fingers.

I hated them for about 2-3 days but now I don't even know they're there. Infact now it feels weird when I remove them.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Dovechild20

#7 Post by Dovechild20 »

I just got mine today and was told to wear them 24/7 except for brushing and eating. They however didnt tell me how often to change them and i didnt think to ask...hmm..

Dovechild20

#8 Post by Dovechild20 »

Thanks guys, i'll be sure to give my ortho a call tomorrow. Dont wanna tack on more time to my treatment! :wink: