Newbie anxious about getting braces on the 10th!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

songbird0462

Newbie anxious about getting braces on the 10th!

#1 Post by songbird0462 »

I just joined this forum, and I'm getting my braces placed on the 10th. I'm pretty anxious/nervious about the whole process, and I was wondering if I could ask yall some questions.
-What can i expect them to do to me that day? Like, the process of everything.

- what can i expect afterwards, after i leave the office?

-I went to my dentist and she said i had a cavity, only a few steps away from me needing a root canal :shock: Should I get it taken care of before hand, or should I just wait to see what my ortho says. I would hate to walk in there, already prepared for everything to just have her tell me that she cant do anything because of my cavity...

Thanks for your help!!!

EmmyD

Re: Newbie anxious about getting braces

#2 Post by EmmyD »

Okay first things first... if you have a cavity, get rid of it before you get your braces put on! Not only will it hurt but it'll be more expensive to get replacement braces after the ortho fixes the tooth. If you have any more questions e-mail me. (And don't take my tone seriously... I'm just trying to help.)

str8teeth

#3 Post by str8teeth »

Yes, do have that cavity filled immediately before you get your braces on. If the filling needs to be on the side of the tooth, it will most definitely need to be in place before the bracket is glued on. You may be getting just your top braces first, and if the cavity is on the bottom, you may have a few more weeks to get it filled. Call your ortho and ask them about it if you have any doubts...but I would go ahead and make a dental appointment. :D

As for what to expect...I just got my braces on last week so feel free to ask me anything. This whole process is pretty new to me and it's been quite an experience, though a really good one!

I went in that morning, scared to death, lol. I had nearly chickened out and cancelled my appointment! I knew in advance that I would be getting the clear ceramic self-ligating brackets by GAC called InOvation C. I also knew that I was only getting the top ones that day. Well...the whole process took like 20 minutes max. A technician put a thing in my mouth to hold it open and hold my lips back. I looked pretty funny I'm sure but it wasn't uncomfortable or anything. She told me exactly what she was doing and got the brackets ready for the doc and brushed an etching material on the fronts of my teeth to help the glue bond. It smelled kind of like nail polish. lol Then, starting with a back molar, he glued all of the brackets on and, after each bracket, held this tiny light over them to set the bonding glue. As soon as he was done the thing to hold my mouth open was taken out and I had to rinse my mouth...it felt SO weird with just brackets and no wire. REALLY WEIRD! He then removed any excess glue/etching from around the brackets so that my teeth didn't feel rough. Then, in like 2 seconds, the technician put the arch wire in and closed each bracket over the wire. Then I got instruction on brushing, flossing, etc. It was a really fast process and not a big deal.

The ENTIRE rest of the day I kept smiling in the mirror, examining them, showing them off, etc. It was pretty funny. Not to mention, I kept moving my lips and tongue over them because they felt so strange. Be careful doing this though because it can rub your mouth raw...and gob the dental wax they give you on them if they start to rub your mouth the least little bit. Anyway, that was around 5 days ago for me...now I'm about used to them. At first my teeth felt slightly pulled and I could feel the pressure. That is gone now, they don't hurt, and I'm pretty used to them. I can already tell that a couple of teeth have moved. Yay!

Good luck with everything! If you have more questions, just ask :-)

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Here is a site that goes over it step by step with pictures! You can even click on the pictures to see a larger size. http://www.braceface.com/gettingbraces.htm
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

songbird0462

#5 Post by songbird0462 »

Thanks Yall!
well, i called my ortho, and she said it would be best to fill it now rather than later.
Then, i called my regular dentist and sched. an appointment. I'm a needle-phobe and i asked if they had laughing gas. They didnt. So i called my ortho, and they reccomended a dentist that was close to where they are. They're cheaper (which is a plus!) and he gives laughing gas. :D So I'm going on the 27th (woohoo, 2 days before my birthday. what fun :roll: ) to get it filled.

Thanks for the advice, and that web site was really helpful!

songbird0462

#6 Post by songbird0462 »

**update**
well, i got my cavity fixed. apparently, my nerve is receding and my dentist has no idea how i dont feel any pain. I need to get a crown on it after my braces come off though.

I've started the saltwater rinse, so my mouth can start ajusting to it by the time my braces come on.

I'm already anxious to get my braces on! I kinda want to call and see if i can get an earlier appt (even though i did get the earliest one lol)

thanks for everyone's support!

str8teeth

#7 Post by str8teeth »

So do you know yet what type of braces you'll be getting?

songbird0462

#8 Post by songbird0462 »

str8teeth- I'm getting the damon system.

KK- Thanks for that link. I'm prolly gonna start a blog after I get them, so I can put up pictures.

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

Congrats on starting the journey. In many ways getting through the first month seems the hardest. Remember always that hopefully treatment will make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

Hopefully you have pictures pre braces. If not, your ortho probably took some. Take pictures with braces as soon as you can. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks or a month, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the board. Whatever you do in this process try to have fun. Maintaining a positive attitude truly will make this a good experience instead of a treatment to tolerate.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.