Arch Wire Sizes?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

str8teeth

Arch Wire Sizes?

#1 Post by str8teeth »

Could someone please explain to me the difference between a 14, 15, and 16 arch wire? I heard the orthodontal tech asking the doctor which number right before getting my arch wire. I was just curious...
Thanks!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

The numbers refer to the diameter of the wire in thousandths of an inch. A single number refers to a wire which is round in cross-section, so a "14" would actually be a wire which was .014" diameter. Later in treatment square or rectangular wires are used, so you might hear your ortho say something like 16x22, which would be the diameter of the rectangle in both directions.

newmetal

#3 Post by newmetal »

Ive found this topic interesting. So whith the increased diameter what does this mean? More strength?

Many Thanks

acehigh

#4 Post by acehigh »

Lisa65......I found your reply very interesting!! :lol: I always wondered about those numbers. Right now I'm on 19/25 stainless steel archwires. Do you know if these are the strongest? I wonder if they will just stay on the rest of the treatment as they work on my overjet/overbite with the elastics. :D

bracesafter40

#5 Post by bracesafter40 »

Yup, this is a cool topic; I have a 16 wire. Have since I started treatment on Feb. 28. I guess at some point I will get a bigger/thicker wire?

I keep hearing my Ortho saying, just put the same 16 wire on each time I go. My bottom wire has only been changed once and that was 'cause she had to cut it when I lost a bracket and she did not have time to re-cement it.

You can see it here - http://bp2.blogger.com/_iSOoKG3aTeM/Rme ... 43_mod.JPG

So what is the largest wire? What size wire do you all have?
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

oceanblue

#6 Post by oceanblue »

I have been in a "16 square" on my top teeth FOREVER. That's as strong of a wire as they are going to use on me I guess because I have a removal date set . . .
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

str8teeth

#7 Post by str8teeth »

Thank you all so very much for your replies to this! When I first got my braces last week, the tech ask the doc if he wanted a 15 or 16. He told her, "Let's go with a 14". So, ever since then I was wondering what this meant. I wasn't sure if it was the strength, wire size, or size of the arch (like the span of the arch). So I'm guessing now that I have a weaker strength one, thus the little to no pain that I've noticed? I assume they'll put a 15 or 16 in relatively soon. I also had no clue that they made any that weren't perfectly round. I figured they all just looked like what I had put in. At least now there won't be any surprises if he adds something larger, etc. next time!

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

I started with a .012 on my top teeth, but they were very misaligned so they needed a very flexible wire to start with.