The Purpose of Elastics! ugh!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CanehdianGal

The Purpose of Elastics! ugh!

#1 Post by CanehdianGal »

Hi everyone,

I mentioned on an earlier post , that along with my front elastics my Ortho added 2 more with cleats on the insides of my back molar both sides attached to the front of the lowers. After 4 days 1 tooth that the elastic is attached to is sore..Chewing or any contact. Is this a good thing? Are my teeth moving..

I always thought elastics were put on nearing end of treatment not 5 months into it!

What is th purpose of elastics..Don't the braces do most of the work?

Having food getting stuck is a pain but now with the elastics on the sides now everything is getting wedged in..Thankgod for my cordless waterpick and interdental pickers. ( that's what I call them)

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

After 4 days 1 tooth that the elastic is attached to is sore..Chewing or any contact. Is this a good thing? Are my teeth moving..

I always thought elastics were put on nearing end of treatment not 5 months into it!
I dont remember that my teeth were so sore when I had elastics to correct my crossbite.
You got your elastics really early. Maybe your teeth were "ready" for them ie. not so much to align and level before them.

red indian

Ive had elastics from day 1

#3 Post by red indian »

Well I have had elastics from day 1 of a year long treatment. The ortho said these were important to guide the movement of teeth in specific ways. So my guess is it isnt always true that elastics are used close to teh end of the treatment- though i am not sure what are the factors involved in such a decision.

Meloho

Re: The Purpose of Elastics! ugh!

#4 Post by Meloho »

It varies case to case; my elastics were put in the day I was braced. Your ortho knows what's best at the time...you obviously need them now and you may need them again near the end. Then again, you might not. It's hard to say, but you'll find out soon enough.

CanehdianGal

#5 Post by CanehdianGal »

"can be used to address either Class II or Class III molar relationships"

What does it mean with the different Classes..I see that talked about often?

Thankyou all who replyed :)

CanehdianGal

#6 Post by CanehdianGal »

Thankyou Karen!

So basically we all have to get to a class 1.

I'm going to ask my Ortho what class I'm at now.

CanehdianGal

#7 Post by CanehdianGal »

Ugh Jaw Surgery I did not see to see that..Gulp.

I didn't see a photo of what class I am..I have an open bite so none of my teeth touched when I would bite down. Only 1 tooth my back molar. Now since jan I have 3 more touching in the back right side. and 1 on the left side in back. Because of those frggen elastics in the front, my teeth have now overlapped. So ya it's doing it's job even though i hate having them in the front. He says I am not ready just yet to have them off. I said but loooooooooook there knocking the bracket..lol I was told he's such a perfectionist..I can see now he is..lol
The space is closing on the sides when I bite down so I def see a difference.

kirjax

#8 Post by kirjax »

thanks for those links as well. I never really asked what my bite is and it's not circled on the copy of the record sheet they give you. I think I'm a class III only bc of the way the back molars are lined up in my mouth. I wonder if it will take the entire 20-24 months to fix that! I acutally don't mind the elastics but I can't imagine wearing them throughout the treatment phase.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

valster

#9 Post by valster »

I just got elastics a week ago and I'm not bothered by them at all.

I was told to remove them to eat and brush/floss and that's it. My ortho told me they need 10 hours of steady pressure to do their job, so if I take them out to brush/eat I should put them back as quickly as possible.