My 4th day in metal! Frustrated!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AprilM

My 4th day in metal! Frustrated!

#1 Post by AprilM »

Hi everyone! I got my metal braces on thursday of last week and this would be my 4th day in them. As far as the pain goes, it has actually been ok. Nothing Aleve wont fix. My problem is that my teeth don't line up at all and my molars are hitting brackets on both sides. I can't bite down at all. Is this normal? If so how long does it take to fix? My ortho said that it would have to be this way until my teeth straightened up some. I can't chew anything at all. My teeth are very sore but managable. The wax is a god send for those pesky wires poking my cheeks. I kinda have a little lisp when I speak, but I think I will adjust to that. Oh and what is the best color of ligature to get that doesnt stain? I got gray, and I drink coffee and tea a good bit. I do think if I could chew my teeth would be more sore. Anyway, its nice to read eveyones stories. This is a great site~

April :)

Jennine

#2 Post by Jennine »

I had one bracket on the bottem that hit my top tooth on a bad angle when i was first braced. I couldnt close my mouth or chew either... it took about 4-5 weeks.

jorx

#3 Post by jorx »

my top teeth used to hit my bottom brackets, until one of them popped off, any I went to the ortho for an emergency appointment. Then, she put me some bonding on my lower back molars in order to avoid teeth hitting brackets.

Now I cant close the mouth and I am having a hard time adjusting to eating without contact between my uppers and lowers! But I now am starting to manage, I guess it's just a matter of time!

Whitters

#4 Post by Whitters »

I had an identical problem like you AprilM. Whenever I bite, my top canines were 'landing' on my bottom braces. It scrawled my blood. I was SOO afraid to chew anything..so I didn't, until week 4. Now I'm chewing as usual...albeit slowly......
During that time I ate mainly soup and tried to eat soft foods that didn't really require chewing.
I hope it gets better for you soon!