Hi--I am new!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jozie

Hi--I am new!

#1 Post by jozie »

I wanted to say hello to everybody. I am getting braces on six of my upper teeth on August 7th (unless the x-rays show something different to change that). I spent the last two weeks getting consults from different orthodontists and I have never been so confused! In March, I fell hard on the right side of my face. I had a soft tissue injury that took 3 months to heal. I do have a tooth that is turned but I have one on the other side of my mouth, too. I also have a gap in my front teeth that seems to be getting wider as I get older. I have a very good bite and my teeth are not crooked. I was concerned about the growing gap and the two teeth that looked jammed together.

Orthodontist #1 wanted to do braces on the upper teeth and later, a permanent retainer. Orthodontist #2 wanted to do braces on the lower and upper because then they would be "perfect." He wanted to make room on the top where I had a tooth pulled in the back because the space from the pulled tooth is no longer there. Then he said I would need a bridge or implant where that one tooth was and if I did that, at some point, no retainer.

Orthodontist #3 wanted to do braces on the upper teeth. Orthodontist #4 said I needed to think about what I wanted. He said my bite was very good and sometimes, people don't have as good a bite even after braces. He suggested bracing six teeth--to close the gap and straighten the two that are rotated. He will leave the area where the one tooth was pulled alone because I have had no problems with it for the last 30 years.

I chose orthodontist #4. I already had the x-rays and molds done and I chose metal braces. I feel comfortable with my decision because I was not feeling right about going overboard when my teeth don't need it. It is estimated that treatment will take 7-12 months.

So, that is my story. I have learned so much from reading the messages on this board!

jozie

#2 Post by jozie »

Hi, KK. It almost scares me that I came so close not to getting all those consults! The treatment time is so short because I don't have problems with bite, protruding teeth, crooked teeth, etc. What I most want fixed is the gap in my front teeth; I used to like it until it got wider. I actually think my braces will be more cosmetic. I was worried with the other three orthodontists who wanted to brace teeth that are fine to begin with and straight and cause me no problems. And, my mouth literally dropped open with shock at the one who wanted to do my entire mouth. I gasped when he said that.

My sister had braces and she was in them for years. She had 8 or 9 teeth pulled and for her, braces literally changed her face. Now her two sons have braces and it is funny that I will be going through this at the same time as my two nephews![/b]

jozie

#3 Post by jozie »

KK, I wasn't sure at first. It was the consultations that helped me decide. Three of the orthos wanted to do the top. The one I chose said something that decided me. He felt that my bite was so very good that he did not want to do anything that would affect my bite. He said that I never had problems and he believed that bracing the two teeth in front and two on either side would take care of the problem. I admire him for not trying to talk me into doing something I did not need. I admire him for not wanting to put braces on teeth that don't need them. Believe me, if all my teeth need it, I would do it. I also saw the results of his work and he does beautiful work. Now I'm confused about whether to go with metal after all. Maybe I should do the clear. If the ligatures are clear on both, then staining would be an issue with both, right?

jozie

#4 Post by jozie »

KK, I do trust him. I called the ortho's office this morning; he isn't in today. But I spoke with a person there and told her I was unsure about metal or clear. She told me that clear ligatures are prone to staining and as you said, there are different colors. She told me, though, that the clear brackets can also stain. She said I didn't have to know which kind I wanted right now--I can get help with the decision on the day I have them put on and she said I can come in anytime to look at them.

I am glad I don't have to decide now. I am in a professional position at a university and I don't know that colored ligatures would be appropriate for me. I invite you and anybody who has an opinion to please please tell me what you think.

Thanks for posting the thread--the colors are cute!

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

I thought I would get my two cents in before the color-lig folks do.

This is really a matter of personality more than "fear of staining", IMHO. I don't have colored ligs, just plain old clear ones, and I've had plain old clear power chains, too. I drink tea, coffee, and red wine and I eat curry and tomato sauce- nothing to excess, but I do have all of these and these are the things that most folks worry about staining. I'm sure there are folks on the board who drink more coffee/tea/wine and eat more staining foods than I do, but I have had all of these.

I'm 54 (almost 55) and very conservative. I'm a computer geek/nerd. I have one piercing in my ears (one each ear), no tattoos, never dyed my hair, ... I never had colored ligs and never wanted them.

Just some things for you to think about while you're deciding.

jozie

#6 Post by jozie »

Betty, I doubt very very much that I will go with colored ligs even though I will take a look. I like to drink coffee, diet pepsi and I like pasta with tomato sauce. Did you have trouble with staining? Do you have metal or ceramic brackets? You said something about clear power chains but I don't know what those are. This morning, when I called the ortho's office, I was told something about how you can come in and change something (?) as often as you want, no problem.

I am 55 and I am rather conservative, too. But I do have three piercings in each ear and I do color my hair! I am so new to this board, I wondered if anybody else was even near the same age as me.

Thanks.

Betty Bat

#7 Post by Betty Bat »

Jozie,
I had sapphire (clear) uppers for 18 months - they were removed in April - and Damon 2 (metal) lowers. The lowers are still on.

I really didn't have much trouble with staining. Powerchains are something that you may or may not get, depending on your treatment. It's like a little chain of rubberbands that span multiple teeth; each tooth gets a band. They are typically used to close gaps between teeth. Boy, there are a lot of different types of elastic things with braces, aren't there. Ligs hold the wire to the bracket, powerchains span multiple teeth to close gaps, and elastics typically span across the upper and lower jaw to change the relationship between the jaws.

Now, with 3 piercings, you might be a better candidate for colored ligs than I was ...

Good luck and welcome!

P.S. The best advice I can give is to get a good electric toothbrush. I bought a Sonicare 7300 from Ebay and really like it.

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have clear ceramics, I choose colors or I go with clear, just depending on what I feel like doing. I like clear for the first week or two, then I don't like the staining. On the other hand, it's fun to pick colors, sometimes I just feel like colors. Not one person has said anything about having colored ligs. Not even my boss. It's like someone saying they don't like the color shirt you're wearing. Now who would say something like that? It's all preference.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Samantha19

#9 Post by Samantha19 »

Hello Jozie,

As someone who got braces not long ago and also needs them a short time I will tell you it will be ok.

Keep a lot of lip gloss or chapstick around for your lips though
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

Samantha19

#10 Post by Samantha19 »

She told me, though, that the clear brackets can also stain.

That's kinda scary Jozie, as the modern ceramics don't stain. I think some of the much older type of plastics did ... but I don't think they're manufactured any more.
It seems I am not the only one being told that the ceramic brackets can stain.

I wonder if there are ceramic brackets (maybe not as well made) that do in fact stain? I have no idea, of course.

It's strange because you would think the information coming from an ortho's office would be crediable.

I am not sure why they would not know their product and be giving out wrong information.

Very confusing
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

jozie

#11 Post by jozie »

It wasn't the orthodontist who told me about clear brackets staining, it was an assistant. She didn't say they would stain, she said they could stain. I will call again tomorrow and check that again. I have pretty much gone back to my original choice, the one I made before I saw anybody. I want the metal. But now some of you have me questioning whether I am going to a good enough orthodontist even though he wasn't the one who told me that.

Do you think I should be concerned or worried? :?

OOPS--sorry for the double post.
Last edited by jozie on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jozie

#12 Post by jozie »

Meryaten, I could have misunderstood; I know she said that the clear can stain--the bands or something. But I will still call tomorrow and ask the question again even though I want metal. By the way, this will cost around $2000 for the six teeth for 7-12 months. Is that too cheap and should I be concerned about that?

jozie

#13 Post by jozie »

Meryaten, thanks for replying so quickly. Now I'm not sure about even doing this. I did ask her what brand of clear they use and she said Unitech or Unitek (sp?) or Unity--something like that. My case is not complex at all. I am going to call again tomorrow because I have a strong feeling I misunderstood something. If I have any reservations, I will ask to speak with the orthodontist himself (he wasn't in today) or I will cancel the whole thing.

jozie

#14 Post by jozie »

I think I did misunderstand what I was told or she wasn't even an assistant! I found an article on this site that mentioned the brands of ceramic braces and I found the brand she told me. It IS Unitek and they are very good braces and the brackets don't stain. I am still calling tomorrow, though.

jozie

#15 Post by jozie »

KK and Meryaten, I called the ortho's office and I have decided that I made a good decision to get my braces done there. They use the Clarity ceramics and not one of their patients has had any staining of the brackets. But, they tell everyone that there is a "very very slight possibility" that even ceramics might stain. She told me thay choose to be on the conservative side in what they tell people even though the manufacturer states they are stainless and no patients have had staining. Again, she told me that the majority of their adult patients are choosing the metal.

Anyway, I am sticking with my decision to get the metal. I looked at pictures on AW last night and on other sites and oddly enough, I don't like the bulky look of the clear.

My regular dentist had made me molds or trays to whiten my teeth. He did that years ago and I rarely used them. I am going to do some whitening in the next month while I am visiting my family. I could kick myself though--those trays cost over $200 years ago I didn't use the trays all these years and now, I won't be able to use the upper mold after the braces. But, I could tell that there was a change in my upper teeth because I had to work at making the upper stick on the way it originally did.

I want you all to know that I appreciate your support and your replies. I am so glad I decided to join this board. Just reading about others (as well as the way you have treated me) truly has been an upper and inspiring and motivating.