Never seen this before (Braces Spotting)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha19

Never seen this before (Braces Spotting)

#1 Post by Samantha19 »

I saw a girl tonight maybe 18-19 and she had braces on her top teeth in a way I have never seen before.

She had clear ceramic brackets on her front 4 teeth but a full wire like you find on normal braces (I am guessing hooking into a band or bracket in the back on each side).

I have never seen this before. I am guessing that she needed a little more then a retainer to fix her teeth but didn't need full brackets and the combination put enough pressure on the teeth to pull them in place.

Has anyone seen this before
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

newmetal

Re: Never seen this before (Braces Spotting)

#2 Post by newmetal »

I saw a girl tonight maybe 18-19 and she had braces on her top teeth in a way I have never seen before.

She had clear ceramic brackets on her front 4 teeth but a full wire like you find on normal braces (I am guessing hooking into a band or bracket in the back on each side).

I have never seen this before. I am guessing that she needed a little more then a retainer to fix her teeth but didn't need full brackets and the combination put enough pressure on the teeth to pull them in place.

Has anyone seen this before
I hav'nt heard about this either. Maybe its just those four front teeth that needed more retention like you suggested.

Newmetal

Samantha19

Re: Never seen this before (Braces Spotting)

#3 Post by Samantha19 »

I hav'nt heard about this either. Maybe its just those four front teeth that needed more retention like you suggested.

Newmetal
I am guessing that is the reason as well. It's weird, I notice braces more now then I ever did before.

Before getting them I didn't pay any attention to them.
Samantha

Samantha19

#4 Post by Samantha19 »

Wow ... you must take people's teeth in, to notice something like that.
No, she just happened to to be laughing and joking with the girls she was with and I saw them as I passed by
There have been people on this site, who've begun treatment with just the front two, four or six bracketed, especially if there's another appliance working on the side teeth. Also some have begun with just brackets on the side teeth.
Maybe that's it or as Newmetal said maybe she just needed a little more retention. However she only had the 4 brackets and I didn't see any other appliances, just a wire disapearing into the back of her mouth on each side (I caught eye of her braces out of the corner of my eye and then paid attention after that).
I guess you'll never know, unless you ask her! :wink:
If I ever see her again then maybe I will. But who knows if that will ever happen.

But from what you said above it's not unusual and it has happened before, so it's not some totally weird thing.
Samantha

Pixel Witch

#5 Post by Pixel Witch »

My step sister had an identical configuration while in high school. She played softball and had her two front teeth knocked out on a wayward catch.

Part of her treatment to getting them put back in, and keeping everything lined up was to have the two teeth that had fallen out put back in and bracketed, along with the teeth to either side of it. They got her ceramics to make it less of an ordeal for her, lol. She ended up having them for 8 months.

I also found a webcomic on livejournal about braces where the character's two front teeth had fallen out and were held in by braces, but she had a full set.

Not to say that's why. but that's my only personal experience with that four bracket set up.

Samantha19

#6 Post by Samantha19 »

Pixel Witch wrote:My step sister had an identical configuration while in high school. She played softball and had her two front teeth knocked out on a wayward catch.

Part of her treatment to getting them put back in, and keeping everything lined up was to have the two teeth that had fallen out put back in and bracketed, along with the teeth to either side of it. They got her ceramics to make it less of an ordeal for her, lol. She ended up having them for 8 months.

I also found a webcomic on livejournal about braces where the character's two front teeth had fallen out and were held in by braces, but she had a full set.

Not to say that's why. but that's my only personal experience with that four bracket set up.
Hi Pixel,

That's interesting.

It least it proves I am not crazy and I saw what I really saw.

Thanks for letting me know
Samantha

Pepper

#7 Post by Pepper »

My niece has something like that. I don't know exactly how many brackets she has, but I think she only has 4-6 on her top front teeth.