SPecial toothpaste?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

celboriginal

SPecial toothpaste?

#1 Post by celboriginal »

Hello everyone,

I was braced about 6 weeks ago ( I go for my first adjustment on Monday...yippee!!!) and after the whole procedure the ortho assistant told me that I had to get a prescription tooth paste that I was to use once a day. I got the paste that day but I completely forgot about it for the last 6 weeks so I just recently started using it. I was just wondering if anyone else was prescribed a prescription toothpaste.

TenzoX

#2 Post by TenzoX »

Nope i never got any special prescription. Maybe he saw something wrong in your mouth, and wanted you to get that. Can you tell us what kind of toothpaste is it. Next time you see him ask him why you need this special prescription.

metaljen

#3 Post by metaljen »

My ortho gave me a tube of Colgate Phos-Flur Gel and told me to use it right before bed after brushing and not to drink anything afterwards. They give a large tube to all their patients and its supposed to help prevent cavities. You're supposed to use such a small amt. each night that the tube should last at least a year... They said they had better results with it than with mouthwashes (LOL, but I still use the flouride mouthwash if I'm just too tired to brush my teeth AGAIN) :wink: Is this what you were given? I can't remember if they said that it was only available from the pharmacy or not...

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I use the Phos-flur rinse and I had no idea that you needed a Rx for any of those types of products. I just get it through my brother's office, which is an OS office. Maybe I should ask them to order me the gel instead. Have you noticed any staining from the gel?
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Pepper

#5 Post by Pepper »

[quote=metaljen]My ortho gave me a tube of Colgate Phos-Flur Gel and told me to use it right before bed after brushing and not to drink anything afterwards. They give a large tube to all their patients and its supposed to help prevent cavities. You're supposed to use such a small amt. each night that the tube should last at least a year... They said they had better results with it than with mouthwashes (LOL, but I still use the flouride mouthwash if I'm just too tired to brush my teeth AGAIN) :wink: Is this what you were given? I can't remember if they said that it was only available from the pharmacy or not...[/quote]
Yeah, I got that as well.

celboriginal

#6 Post by celboriginal »

It's the Colgate Prevident with sodium fluoride. I can't remember why they told me to use it but I do remember they said that I was to use it at night before bed and not to rinse. I should have asked more questions about it when they prescribed....but I think I was in shock over being braced. I just wanted to know if anyone else uses it and it looks like jt2lang uses the same stuff. So I assume I have sensitive enamal. I'll ask about it on Monday. Thanks guys!

shoshiaf

#7 Post by shoshiaf »

I also use Prevident. It is used to prevent cavities from forming around the brackets.

shoshiaf

#8 Post by shoshiaf »

However, it is also possible to avoid such cavities without using this product.
Exactly, Prevident is just an extra precautionary measure to avoid possible cavities from forming near the brackets.